Skip to main content

What would you recommend for monitoring 4-5 pork butts at a time? I don't need it (them) to be remote capable, I'm fine with a few of them sitting on top of my Cookshack SM045, but do want to monitor each butt/shoulder without opening the door to move a probe.

I'm thinking a few of these would be ok, but not having much luck finding reviews:
http://www.amazenproducts.com/...?ProductCode=ET-2216

Or do I go the $$ route and pickup a couple of TW8060's and four armored meat probes?
http://thermoworks.com/product...060.html#MoreInfoTab

That seems like a $250 answer to a $40 problem.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Okay, maybe I missing something here? Why would you need to monitor all of them at once?

I could see monitoring a couple of the small ones, ya know, you do have to open the door when the little ones are done...don't ya?

With that said, I use a handful of these when we cook at comps... Taylor probes

They run about $15 a piece at Target stores, as John was sayin', don't soak them in water.
When I cook a load of butts, I know the hot spots in my smoker and always put the biggest pork butts there and the smaller ones spread through the rest of the smoker. Then I would put remote Thermoworks probe on one of the big butts and one on a small butt. When the first completed butt comes off the smoker, I check the rest to see where they are and guage when I need to come back and check them again. I will usually shuffle some of the butts around to the hotter spots as the others come off. But I never put probes in them all. Can't afford that many probes plus I don't think I would remember which probe went to which butt.
Reference brands,like cal suggested at comps ,or vendors you find Taylors setting most everywhere.The butts are the single easiest product to cook and the least in need of attention.

If you need one today,go to the closest "big box store"i.e. "wallyworld and buy something for less than $15.I catch Amazon with 3 for $15 and buy the bunch.I give them to friends I visit,so I have one to use there. Big Grin

Seems over a couple decades of messing with them that most are made by the same chinese prisoners.The probes seem to interchange on about all.Taylor is easiest to buy replacement probes.
We tend to calibrate around five before leaving for each cookoff and when we get there,at least one is 10*-15* off. Big Grin

If you drive over one.loan one to another cook, you forget one in the truck,drop one in the dishwasher pot,etc.stop at wally,lowe's,etc and buy what is hanging on the wall.

Don't overthink the process,like the other good cooks said.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.