Skip to main content

I have 2 remote thermometers. 1 Redi Chek, and a Maverick. This am I put in a probe and after about 15 minutes it went crazy, jumping from 90 to 440 degrees. Removed the probe to make sure it wasn't touching a bone. Switched remotes. Looked fine for about 10 minutes then it beeped and said the meat was done. Fastest pb I've ever cooked! Is that how a bad probe acts??
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Adding on to Joe's comments...

Every digital probe goes south sooner or later. Usually it's the result of moisture in the probe itself. Whenever I see 'em on sale on sale at Wally world, I buy 4 of them...$13-$19.

Your best insurance is a Thermapen. Very accurate and you'll have a readout in seconds. They're on sale right now.
HERE'sthe link. I've owned one for 4 years...never had an issue.
Mod note: Moved to the Therm. forum.

FYI, the worst thing that makes most probes go bad is moisture. Check the location where the solid metal probe meets the cable. That's the location that if ANY MOISTURE gets into it, it works it way down to the end of the probe and then makes the insides go haywire.

When you can, put shrink tubing over that location (for good units) and then never immerse it in water to clean.

For bad units, we've talked about immersing the whole probe in hot oil. Hot oil forces the water out. The clean it up, and test. If it's good, then add shrink tubing.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.