Skip to main content

I was toward the end of my pastrami cook, about 9:00 this morning it was 162 degrees at 225 temp, I was shooting for 180/185. I was going out to the grocery store and peeked to see what the temp was, all it said was hi. ?? well I unplugged it, turned it off, still the same, the meat temp says hi. So I put on my Maveric, 164 degrees, Ok off I go to the store, CS will get a call in the morning. I check when I get back, 172 meat, 225 cooker. I go put groceries away, relax come out a hour later, smokers at 293, maveric smoker temp is 293, meat is at 178. WTF, close enough for me on meat temp, I remove and foil, really is time to call service, and I have a brand new controller, CS sent me an updated one that boosts start up temp to get wood smoking better, can't be two weeks old. Oh well, my Pastrami is resting, that's all that matters.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Sorry to hear this.

When you said you unplugged it, if you turned off or unplugged the smoker, I think the 20 minute start up probably kicked in. That means it ran on high for 20 minutes more.

Luckly the 2nd time I done this, thanks to this forum, I opened door to dump heat.

Remember not to get probe connections or wire/probe connection in water!

Let us know what you find out and glad to hear the meal got done.
Nope, after thinking about it, the unplug and on and off action was two hours before it did it's high temp deal. It just freaked out. On a side note I put the Pastrami in the fridge, figured I'd give it a day or two to let the flavors all blend in and cut it up for sandwiches, I don't know if their will be any left. I keep on seeing people walking around with chunks of meat going Aye pops, this is pretty good.
Bill at CS told me he starts smoking his food item then inserts the probe at some later point in the cook when the food item has likely reached a temperature above 40*.

That's a work-around to keep the probe from freaking out, but I'm not one to open the door unless I want to dump heat or moisture.

Will try my new probe today and see if that was the problem.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.