Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I can't help you with the FEC 100 (I have an Amerique) but I can tell you how to keep the cooked pieces until you're ready to serve them. I used to be in charge of our church chicken dinners. We used to cook 1000 halves and we sold out every time. Even with 6 large stick burners, we had to do several batches. Some of the chicken was done as much as 8 hours before we started to serve.

One of the women made up some vinegar based sauce which we would heat up. When the pieces were done, we'd take each one off with tongs, dunk it in the pot of sauce and throw it into a cooler. We would pack the coolers as full as we possibly could and then we'd close them up and not open them again until we were ready to serve. If you try this, remember to close your eyes when you open the cooler. The vinegar-laden steam will really burn your eyes.

Even the chicken that was done 8 hours earlier would be so hot you couldn't handle it. Because of the time it sat in the cooler, it was incredibly tender and juicy. We always had tons of compliments and I can't recall any complaints.

Hope this helps and good luck with your event!
Did you brine those chicken pieces at the time? That sounds like a good idea!Whats are good vinegar based and white sauce recipes do you reccomend?The white sauce is new to me as I have only had it on chicken steak. And you had chicken done 8 hrs before the event and it was still hot? I cant wait to give it a try. Thanks guys!!
I brine all my chicken using something similar to Smokin's holiday brine.

The white sauce I'm talking about IS NOT white gravy! Search for Bob Gibson white sauce, here or Google and you'll find recipes. Think thin ranch dressing with a vinegar and/or horseradish kick.

And yes, the cooler will keep food hot for a long time if packed fully and kept closed. At 350* you should be able to produce a load of halves every 2hr easily, so you could produce 4 loads in 8 hours and have a 5th in the smoker while those were being served. I don't know what the capacity of a FEC100 is, but this should give you plenty of food I'm guessing.

Oh, I just re-read your original post and you say halves, then say legs and thighs. Legs and thighs are called leg quarters, not halves, but these are smaller you you can cook more at once.
Todd. Please stop recommending sauces.

With your recommendation of both the Carolina Cooking/Basting Sauce and the South Carolina Mustard Sauce turning out so good, I just had to order a case of Bob Gibson's White Sauce. Trouble in River City. My wife's accusing me of taking over the pantry. Eeker

Oh well, I've got a couple friends I can give a bottle to each. We picked up a few packages of chicken breasts on sale so we can test the sauce on those. Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Todd G.:

The white sauce I'm talking about IS NOT white gravy! Search for Bob Gibson white sauce, here or Google and you'll find recipes. Think thin ranch dressing with a vinegar and/or horseradish kick.

Hey Todd, I've tried B.B.G's white sauce recipe that Chris Lilly published. To be honest, the resulting outcome didn't do much for me. Does the bottled BBG sauce taste any different vs the recipe? Or perhaps, as you said, it's something you just grow fond of in time.
quote:
Originally posted by BBQTom:
One of the women made up some vinegar based sauce which we would heat up. When the pieces were done, we'd take each one off with tongs, dunk it in the pot of sauce and throw it into a cooler.

Sounds like a great idea.

What's the recipe?

MNbbqkid,

Yeah, you got it practice. You'll need to figure out the timing, because if you're going to do 200 of them, it will take probably two cooks.

Also, when you fill the smoker up, it will cook differently then when you do just a couple of quarters.

There are hotspots and you'll need to watch the chicken because the chicken in those spots will finish quicker than the others.

Oh, and skip the white sauce. Unless you're from Alabama, I don't think ANY group of people, if they've never tried it, would like it.

Max, the recipe in the book/on the web is not the same (my opinion)
quote:
Originally posted by MaxQue:

Hey Todd, I've tried B.B.G's white sauce recipe that Chris Lilly published. To be honest, the resulting outcome didn't do much for me. Does the bottled BBG sauce taste any different vs the recipe? Or perhaps, as you said, it's something you just grow fond of in time.

If you want to be authentic, then that's the one I'm talking about. Hey, I didn't say they'd like it! Roll Eyes But all those folks in the one county in Alabama can't be wrong, could they?

The original works well with chicken and caramelized onions as an addition to the chicken, not necessarily with the chicken dunked. I do a big pan of caramelized/smoked onions and people hit them and the white sauce pretty hard.

I've actually started to like it myself, but I add some Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix to the sauce at about 1/3-1/2 the amount intended for salad dressing. I don't want it to taste like full strength ranch dressing, but the extra spices keep it from being bland.

I think the intention of this white sauce must have originally been to hide dry chicken, because it doesn't seem to do much except add moisture in it's original form, IMO.

But chicken's a lot of fun to play with. Try dipping it sometime with homemade honey mustard and finely ground bacon.
Actually, Chris Lilly showed this once before on some bbq show. They take the chicken halves off just before they are done and dunk them in the white sauce. The halves then go back in the smoker. By the end of cooking, you don't see any white on the halves as it has melted away. I partially agree with Todd in that it adds moisture but I also believe it adds some flavor too.
quote:
Originally posted by RibDog:
Actually, Chris Lilly showed this once before on some bbq show. They take the chicken halves off just before they are done and dunk them in the white sauce. The halves then go back in the smoker. By the end of cooking, you don't see any white on the halves as it has melted away. I partially agree with Todd in that it adds moisture but I also believe it adds some flavor too.

And remember, they also dunk it in oil too at some stage of the cook.

And Pags, this isn't something you'd want to order. There are recipes for it all over the web, and likely here too, so just make up a batch. Basically mayo, salt, pepper(coarse grind), sugar, vinegar, and a few other things I can't recall right now.
I was afraid someone would want to know the recipe of the vinegar based sauce we used but, unfortunately, the woman who made it absolutely refused to share her "secrets". I think she was worried that we wouldn't need her anymore if we knew how to make it ourselves. I can tell you that it seemed to be a typical East Carolina sauce with quite a bit less heat.

I was given a bottle of Bob Gibson's white sauce at a competition I was visiting in Charlotte this past Fall. I was really looking forward to trying it since I like the taste of mayo. For what it's worth, I was very disappointed and my wife really hated it. But then, we all have our own ideas about what tastes good! Now the honey mustard and bacon is certainly something I need to try.
Last edited by Former Member
Todd, You are right. In Chris's cookbook, he states they dunk the chicken in the oil halfway through the cook. But the dunk in the sauce comes later on.

BBQTom, while I realize they put bottles of the white sauce out on the tables at BBG's, I found it was better as I described with dunking it not too long before finishing the cook. But it is an acquired taste just the vineagar sauce in NC.
Thanks RibDog and BBQTom. Hey RibDog are you familiar with Peoples BBQ in Auburdale? That was a great hole in the wall. It has been years since I have been there, and they are not on the web, they were just that good! BBQTom thanks again...I am sure she really enjoyed your company and she didnt want to lose your friendship. Thanks again all!
Well. It didn't take me long. I tried the mustard, honey, mayonnaise, ground bacon dip on some chicken thighs tonight.

Brined them for 2.5 hrs in Smokin's Brine #3, rinsed, cold into a cold smoker set at 300*, 3.5 oz hickory. At 150* internal I removed them, let them rest for 2 minutes, dipped them in the honey mustard sauce, and back into the hot smoker till they hit 180*.

Absolutely delicious. They were a beautiful golden brown, and while the skins weren't crisp, they weren't rubbery either. Pretty good. Best tasting and best looking chicken I've had yet. I think the higher temp helped.

I love it when you guys share recipes. Thanks.
quote:
Originally posted by Pags:
Here's the recipe I used.

Pags, if you like it, feel free to post the whole recipe, just copy it, and I like to add the URL to the original.

Over in the recipe forum... hint, hint.

Can you guys tell I'm pushing people to post in the recipe forum? Still pretty underused forum.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.