Skip to main content

Good morning one and all, I started a new thread because the origional hasn't gotten any more hits since last week and I really neeeded to thank everyone for their input. I started the cook at 6:00pm on Saturday and finally finished it at 1:00 on Sunday, foiled that bad boy up, stuck it in a cooler and trucked on up to Jupiter Florida. I was shooting for a temp of 190, but ran out of time and pulled the brisket out of my AQ at 187. I did "probe" for doneness using the temp probe. It was like sticking the probe into partially melted butter. NO resistance. Each time I cook a brisket, my wife, my freinds, everyone says "oh yeah, this one's the best ever". I'm guessing it is from the ongoing seasoning of the smoker. This time however, I'm also crediting the longer cooktime and higher finish temp.
One other thing I did this time that I have not tried before...
Took my wife's baked beans recipe and added the vacuum packed left overs from the last brisket, chopped up really well. Put them into a cook tray set on the rack under the brisket and let them go for the entire 19 hours as well. It seems now, if we ever want to have baked beans, we have to cook a brisket also. These were like eating candy! Unbelieveable.
One question remains... It has been my understanding that one is not to open the door during the cook, due to moisture loss. I was afraid we may end up with baked bean paste, but did not want to disrupt my brisket cook. All turned out well, however, I'm wondering, at what point can I open the door without adversely affecting the outcome of the cook?

Well, I said I needed to say thanks, so THANK YOU to everyone who offered opinions/advice last week. Dinner was OUTSTANDING thanks in large part to the info I got from you.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

K-man -- Congrats on your smokes. Sounds like you're doing very well.

First a question: Why do you want to open the door? Any time you open the door you are not only loosing moisture but adding a half hour+ to your smoke time.

My suggestion would be, if you are doing beans, toss them at the beginning of your smoke & take them out when you deem necessary - quickly. Frankly, I am surprised you didn't end up with bean paste unless they in deep liquid to begin with.
Love to read and imagine the excitement of a new CS owner!

Yea, I agree with Wheelz, either take them out when you think they are ready, or put them in later and leave for the remainder, or do just like you did and leave them the entire cook. The moist air inside the smoker is what I would most not want to lose. The heat will recover.

Just do it different each time, take good notes, see if it matters. (experiment)

Very good job!

Cool
Wheelz,

I really do not want to open the door and that was the point of my question... How do you check for a brisket's "doneness" by probing for tenderness, if you don't open the door?

It has been my practice to ccok to 180, as my initial thread discussed. In that thread, either Smokin Okie or Tom, suggested that temperature only indicates temperature not doneness. They said that sometimes it's not done till 188, 190, or even 200, and suggested probing the meat until you feel no resistance. I can't think of any way other than opening the door to do that.

As for the beans, yes they did cook in the liquid from the cans, my wife's added recipe(?) she won't tell me what it is... and the now discovered magic of the brisket drippings.

Thanks for your responses.
There are several variables in a cow.

Kinda like what makes a good spouse ,what age,and how long.

No one else can advise ya.

Could be the reason there aren't a lot of great brisket cooks. Wink

If you go back to the post ,where I give Darcy's Indirect Brisket,cook to 195º,foil with a cup of beef broth/coffee/red bbq sauce and let set for two to three hours-you will be close.

The first time,ain't supposed to be like a marriage proposal.

It's just practice,you'll get it right -after a few trial runs. Smiler

Next time adjust for what you didn't like.

Just my $0.02

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.