Skip to main content

The family is getting restless. 20 hours and counting for a 8.14 full brisket in a Smokette @225. It is 181. It was 181 2 hours ago - I was punished for opening the door. (Double checked the new thermometer with a back-up, but I should have trusted it.) I can hear SmokinOkie whispering in my ear "It's Done when it's Done"!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

DanQ, I wished the heck that I could convince someone at Cookshac to put Mainley Daves awesome website on this forum somewhere.

Here is the linkhttp://www.lamaine.com/bbq/

IMHO, this gentleman has done a masterfull job of cooking w/a Cookshack Smokette. Its loaded with short basic facts with pictures.

In no way am I trying to discredit anybody else who posts on this forum. No way in heck would I stoop that low.

Cool part is is Dave is cooking at times in extreeme weather conditions.

Hope your brisket turns out awesome, and your family is happy with you.

Mike
I agree with Mike.

Mainley Dave is in the NE also, so might be alot of help, as Mike said.

The Smokette was designed for cooking briskets. I will admit they require much more study, experimentation, and practice than butts. Mine are not where they need to be, even after several years cooking with the Smokette. I might be having a quality issue with the meat all this time, I suspect.

Keep good notes, have fun!

Cool
Thanks for the link Mike. Dave definately made a study of the Smokette. I will read every word.

Re. the weather in the NE, I planned to dig around the forum for tips, but Dave looks like a good resource. It was pouring rain during most of the cooking yesterday, which might have had an impact. I made a tent with foil, a baking sheet, and cans. The cans rusted rings on the top of the unit but hopefully will clean up with some SS cleaner. (Will use more foil next time.)

The point was just about perfect, but the flat end looked a bit shriveled. Will cut into it tonight to see if it dried out. Looks like there definately is an art to cooking a brisket and I will take good notes.

It is tough to find full briskets in the northeast. I lived in TX for 17 years and never cooked them. (spoiled from the local restaraunts) Up here in New England you have to rescue them before they are turned into Corned Beef!
Weather isn't really an issue with the CS's, Maine or not. With 800+ degrees of insulation, the cold stays outside of the smoker -- UNLESS you open the door, then the cold sucks the warm air inside out.

Cold didn't make this go longer from my experience, but hard to confirm here.

My questions would be to check all therms. If it was too tender to slice in the flat, then it was very, very likely it was over 200 degrees.

I would:

1) verify the temp in the smoker is the temp you think it is
2) verify the temp on the therm dial is the temp is says (say a recent post where they test it and it was 20 degrees off)

Never had a packer take 20 hours in a smokette.

Another open it to bump the temp later in the cook.
We all try to recommend that folks use the find tab at page top.

Input your product and open all forums.

Also,we strongly recommend reading Smokin'Okie's 101 on that product.

The archives/Best of on the product are great reads ,also.

Smokin'Okie thinks so much of taking good notes that he even made up worksheets.

Now we all paid what seems like a big price for a cooker,so we want to be perfect.

Packer briskets can be difficult to find,seem large and expensive-so we want them perfect the first time.

Mainly Dave has some nice pix,that may clarify some images.

Here is a quote from him that is often overlooked.

Originally posted by mainelydave:
The most valuable lessons that I've learned are:

>1) Don't worry. Unless you REALLY screw up, you're probably gonna have edible product. Don't be afraid to experiment - but keep notes.
However, to be on the safe side, don't try something new when you're going to have guests over. Not so much from a "taste" issue, but more from a "when will it get done" issue.

2) There isn't necessarily just ONE correct way to cook something. It all comes down to your preferences. For example, I've experimented with rubbing pork butts with mustard before applying rubs, and not rubbing, trying different rubs, and trying different woods. My conclusions have been, well, inconclusive. Great results with different methods. And the differences, at least with pork butts, haven't been all that great.

3) Buy a decent thermometer, use it, and believe it. This will keep you from opening the door on the long cooks (pork butt, briskets) and keep the moisture in. It's rumored that each time you open the door, you add an hour to your cook time. I think that's pretty accurate.

4) Chicken skins will not crisp in a Cookshack Smokette. Period. Simple solution - finish on the grill, under the broiler, in a hot oven, even a deep fryer.

5) Don't tell your guests how easy it is to do. You'll find it easier to convince your friends to help you out on those nasty household projects by offering a meal of pulled pork in exchange.

5b) Don't tell the Mrs. how easy it is to use. She'll attempt to fill the free time you now have (no tending the fire, adjusting air, etc.) with an expanded "honey-do" list.

6) Learn about the cuts of meat, pork, etc. (many of the so-called "butchers" in todays supermarkets have little knowledge as meats arrive pre-cut) Find a good supplier of meat. It took me a bit of research here in Maine. Finally have a great butcher, plus use BJ's wholesale club. I still usually have to pre-order to get a Pork Butt or Shoulder, or packer cut brisket. Seems like the stores cut them up into various pieces pretty quickly.

7) Finally - we're a real friendly bunch on this site, but sometimes get tired of answering the same old question again and again. Learn to use the search function on the forum. It's quite powerful and you'll find that most questions have been answered many times already. Also - read Smokin Okie's guides. Well-done. There are lots of other bbq sites as well. I like the virtualweberbullet.com forum. Even though it uses another smoker type, theres a lot of valuable information on it.

I think someplace in the archives is a list of favorite bbq books. I don't have many, but use the "Smoke and Spice" book a lot.

A shameless plug. Take a look at my website. (listed below) I've gotten lazy the past few months, but have documented some of my experiences with the Smokette.

8) Repeating #1. Relax. Don't worry. Experiment. Load the smoker, have a few adult-beverages ready, and enjoy the result. You're gonna love it.

One other thought. Big Grin

We can give a pretty good "best way" to cook a hamburger,a drumstick,a small porkchop.

Even a bonein butt can be sorta forgiving,if not perfect.

When Smokin' says "TAKE NOTES",he means of the practices that may,or may not need adjustments.

You hear us talk about using a temp of brisket to indicate when it is time to try the"poke test".

I used to ask folks how you knew,and they would say after you cooked a few and took notes about what you learned,you would get a feel for it.

Just a couple thoughts,so I'll get outa here-before I'm accused of makin' a Smokin'Okie post. Wink
Last edited by Former Member
Had some of the flat for dinner tonight. Plenty tender, but borderline into drying out. I sliced it and heated it up with some Salt Lick BBQ sauce in the microwave which eliminated any issues. I think I might have cooked the whole thing too long. (poke test next time) I might put two thermometers into the meat (one on either end) and pull it when the flat is ready. I can chop off the point and cook it more when I re-heat it. That worked well with some especially beefy ribs I made a couple of weeks ago.

I checked the temperature when I first got the unit and found it to be about 20 deg cool, but I assumed it was my thermometer or the way I was measuring it. Maybe it was right after all. I will check on the next smoke. I bought a 5 lb bag of raw almonds and am going to try to roast/smoke them with some hickory. I read a post which recommends a salt/sugar brine and 2 hrs at 180. I bought a couple of the seafood trays which should work OK. We'll see how it goes...
Dan Q,

I had almost the exact same weight packer brisket in my smokette. I followed Smokin's 101 to the letter, I even used tenderquick and it turned out a perfect smoke ring It looked really neat when sliced....Anyway I like you experienced a similar amount of time at with the smokette set at 225.

As far as the 800 degree insulation I may be my imagination but it seems like it actually takes slightly longer for things to cook when it is in the high 90's here as apposed to say the 50's or 60's outside.
Good info. I will re-read the 101 to be sure I got everything. I think it will be better next time.

BTW, I put some of the CS Mild BBQ sauce on the brisket(came with the unit) and it was absolutely awful! Terrible! Tasted like Franco American Spaghetti-Os tomato sauce which I hate. I was really surprised. My wife dumped the rest out (clogged up the sink) I love the rib rub, though. Chicken rub is pretty salty....
quote:
Originally posted by Dan-Q:
BTW, I put some of the CS Mild BBQ sauce on the brisket(came with the unit) and it was absolutely awful! Terrible!

Congratulations, you're the first posted in 7 years of the forum to say that. But that happens. Sorry it tasted that way to you.

Given there are probably 10,000 sauces out there, you've tried one, now on to the rest.

Let us know what kind you like when you find one.
Wow. Reading back to my original post, I was probably a bit harsh, but I honestly didn't like it. I am fairly new to the Northeast. I lived in Texas for 17 years (Mostly Austin, but went to school in Lubbock) so I have tasted a good variety of sauces. One of my favorites is from the Salt Lick:
http://www.saltlickbbq.com/
They have some fine food there too. (Cobbler and ice cream in a big cereal bowl!) They make a vinegar based sauce (Habanero or mild) that I like quite a bit. (Don't worry, it doesn't taste like vinegar) They also have a booth at the Austin airport if anyone wants to give it a try.
Living in Lubbock, I visited Stubbs BBQ and even had a chance to see the legend of BBQ and live music at his original joint in Lubbock before he died. I see his sauce even here in MA.
http://www.lubbockhospitality.com/stubbs/
My favorite BBQ joint anywhere is Kreuz Market in Lockhart.
http://www.kreuzmarket.com/index.shtml
They serve it by the pound on butcher paper. Have it with a Big Red soda and a thick slice of cheddar cheese with "Crackers or Bread". If you ask for sauce there they kick you out!
I guess sauces are all a matter of taste. I don't care for the Cookshack mild because it is entirely to sweet for me, but I love the Cookshack spicey. It's not overly hot but does have a good tang.+

When I ordered my FE100s, they were supposed to come with two five lb jars of different kinds of rub and other sauces and rubs. I can't remember what they were supposed to be, and maybe they were out of something. I ended up with two five lb jars of the spicey bbq mix. As far as I'm concerned, I came out the winner in that deal. I've had the same reaction anytime I've served it.
Then that settles it - I will try some spicy CS sauce before I write it off. Will post my take on it here (hopefully no more Franco American!)

I do agree with the sweet comment.

Going to break in my cold smoke kit with some Sirloins tonight (finish on the grill) Wish me luck!

BTW, since I seem to be prone to ramble, are the chat rooms ever open?
Just a tip,was that the spicey was developed by Donna's family,I believe. Wink

She is an owner of Cookshack and the family developed the original Cookshack as a brisket cooker,a half century ago.

You might try a little vinegar with the mild sauce,until it suits you.

This may give the feel for why some top Texas comp teams live by it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.