Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi, Papa / Bodacious,

I did a little searching but could not find any current reports on retail brisket prices. I haven't bought on in a few weeks but I know I didn't pay that much. Mr. Brisket, an online retailer is charging about the same as you paid.

I did learn that brisket sales spike at Easter, Passover, Memorial Day (big one) and July 4th. My guess would be that Easter and Passover have driven the price up.

Donna
Briskets, full packers are $1.58 per lb. here at the WalMart, $1.36 lb in case quantity at Sams. But not all Sams carry them. We prefer to cook the full brisket. And the flats cost more for some reason. I think they trim off the deckle and make it into lean ground beef, which costs more, then sell the flat for a higher price because it looks smaller and more do-able for the home cook. But the fat from the deckle makes for a tastier slicing brisket.
Peggy
quote:
Originally posted by Papa Deuce:
Are you kidding me? This was at Costco last week, and it looked like ALL of the fat had been trimmed off.

Way too much money for a piece of meat that I don't think will be all that good.

Have brisket prices really gone up THAT much? Yikes!

I feel your pain! I gave $4.99/lb durning the Easter holiday. Could have bought a whole Hog shoulder for $.99/lb.

Way too much for a chunk of cow thats just a step above the hoof!
i cant even get brisket here(savannah). i dont have room for a case from us foods, so i rely on sams or wally world or grocery stores. sams had little 6 pounders for 3.50/lb. trimmed, of course. why would anyone in their right mind trim a brisket? no way would i buy that!
my utilities have jumped 30 percent, again! electric is nearly double last year....(usage is only slightly up).
we need a non-profit gas company! that would restrain the big boys from over pricing.
I went to Sam's Club and bought four briskets at a dollar 36¢ a pound. Just got back. They were Excel select but looked good. Had the good flex. Briskets and fajita meat are like this gasoline dilemma we are in. Supply and demand! It ought to be against the law to charge that much for that meat. Of coarse all meat prices are out of sight.... Roll Eyes

quote:
Originally posted by Papa Deuce:
Are you kidding me? This was at Costco last week, and it looked like ALL of the fat had been trimmed off.

Way too much money for a piece of meat that I don't think will be all that good.

Have brisket prices really gone up THAT much? Yikes!
This is ancient history now, but on Good Friday before Easter I bought 3 briskets for $.99 a pound. Albertson's had them on sale with a limit of 2 and another local store in the Oklahoma City metro also had them at the same price with a limit of 2. I always smoke 3 briskets since I have a Smokette and it's just as easy to do 3 as do one. I also did a load of split-rib chicken breasts--got them on sale for $.88 a pound. Now I'm stocked up on some tasty smoked meats at bargain prices.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.