Skip to main content

Had about 25 friends over for the weekend. Put 5 Butts in Q at 12:30 pm Friday @ 225, 5oz Hickory/Apple mix, Fast Eddy Rub on a few, Blues Hog on others, smoke time was around 22-23 hours. Made some Brisket Burgers for the grill, along with a KFC knock off Cole Slaw, Food was beyond good. Ate for supper, camp time snack, breakfast, brunch, lunch, gave doggy bags for the drive home.

The Cookshack has to be the most foolproof cooking device that consistently turns out Exceptional food, day in, day out,

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 5_Finished_Butts
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

RedOak;

My palette is not that good at picking up the different rubs, yet. Need to play around and practice moreSmiler

Brisket Burgers are da bomb. Go to Butcher, have him grind a whole packer brisket, fat included, toss in a few pounds of bacon, grind some more, leave butcher, make burgers, feel free to add spices, cheese, what ever. Brisket makes a dang fine burger, but since I started smoking briskets, it's become a favorite meat.

Week/month goes something like this:
Butt/Brisket
Brisket/Butt
Butt/Brisket
Brisket/Butt
Those butts look great, I hear it's a good thing to start with too, a good first smoke in a new smoker. Costco only has shoulders, can you get butts at the grocery store?

BTW, the brisket burgers sound amazing. I notice bacon features quite a lot here. Never thought of grinding bacon into ground beef for burgers, There's a ton of stuff I want to try, this site is dangerous.
Are we sure we understand what a store/costco might be selling and how it is labeled?

A typical market sized pork shoulder is 16-18 lbs and contains the butt and the picnic.

Shoulder

Description: Pork shoulder is the top portion of the front leg of the hog. The terminology for pork shoulder can vary widely depending on the region. However, the lower ‘arm’ portion of the shoulder is most commonly called the arm picnic. The upper part of the shoulder, often called the Boston blade roast (also known as Boston- style butt), comes from the area near the loin and contains the shoulder blade bone.
Last edited by tom
quote:
Originally posted by doogster:
Those butts look great, I hear it's a good thing to start with too, a good first smoke in a new smoker. Costco only has shoulders, can you get butts at the grocery store?

BTW, the brisket burgers sound amazing. I notice bacon features quite a lot here. Never thought of grinding bacon into ground beef for burgers, There's a ton of stuff I want to try, this site is dangerous.

The item Costco sells in my area labeled as "Boneless Pork Shoulder" appears to be a boneless butt. I've cooked a bunch of them and don't see the different types of meat in them I would expect from a real shoulder. Either way though, the Costco shoulder/butt will work beautifully for your smoking pleaseure.
Yep,but as we know the market may hang the words shoulder,butt,picnic together on a label and it could be a 3 lb piece with a bone thru it,and maybe some rind.

This is another forum that is run much as SmokinOkie runs this one,

ChrisA operates a fine one,also.

Here is his page and his direction on pork.

I include this ,basically for the pix and explanations of the parts of the "whole shoulder".

Pork Shoulder

Please do not try to pick up all the other thousands of comments and techniques,that all their cooks may offer.

They may well be contrary to what Smokin' has lined out as an excellent guide with COOKSHACK products.

After we know the CS,we may well find some info of interest on Chris' cookers.
Last edited by tom

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.