Skip to main content

Love my Smokette, but I am beginning to realize I need more capacity and versatility---for cold-smoking fish and sausages, for instance.

I've read every one of Smokin's threads several times over the past two years and I'm fairly convinced that his total cooking times in his 150 are less than mine for some technical reason such as the temp regulation factors perhaps. I live and cook in a warm climate, too.

Why the more than $1800 difference between the commercial models and the 50? They are more or less the same size and capacity.

Guess I could pick up the phone and call for the answers, but maybe there's something here for everyone's better understanding.

Confused
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'm sure Stuart can jump in and give the official party line.

Yup, I think the 150 can smoke a little faster (but not much). Has to do with the heating element I imagine.

The size & # of the shelves are different and the restaurant versions (100's, 200's, etc) have electronic control instead of the manual dial.

Also, think about how much more stainless steel is in the big units, then think $$$.

That's my guess.

Smokin'
Sorry I haven't been keeping up on the forum as well as I should lately. Seems like it is trade show season and have been on the road a lot. Am writing this reply from Halifax, NS.

Talked to a restaurant person here today that reads this forum all the time, so we are reaching out and touching the world.

Back to this thread before Smokin gets on me.

The difference in the price of the home units are many. However the biggest price difference has to do with how we manufacture them for UL and NSF approval. Takes considerably less time to manufacture a smokette than a 150. Also the electronic controller on the commerical units costs considerably more than the thermostat on a home unit.

Hope that helps.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.