Skip to main content

Being a frugile person I am leaning towards purchasing a 09. My reasoning is that the 09 consumes less than half the electicity of a 55.
I know this is something my son and I will be doing every weekend as both of us love to grill and experment with our rubs and sauces.
My son thinks bigger is better. As my son would say, This is one thing you don't want to be cheap about.
How many people out there have had to upgrade to the bigger unit?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Drink one less beer or coke during your cooking time and you will pay for the extra electricty needed. In my humble opinion, get the bigger unit, if you dont need the room, fine, but if you do, (even occaisionally) then you have it. the bigger unit will give you so mugh more versility, and you will enjoy the whoe experience a whole lot more
HypnoChuck
The hardest part about cooking with my 55 is cleaning the thing after I am done. It is pretty much a set it up and come back when it 1s done processs. I and my family LOVE it
I am not on active duty, I am a Vietnam era baby boomer, However I am active in the Force Recon Association and still keep in contact with some of the men I served with.
Looks like most of the 09 owners would rather have the 55, makes sense to me.
Hello Smokejacker,

I recently had this same problem. After posting this question to the forum, I finally decided on the 55. The four payment plan from CS is great and I figure even if the unit only lasts me 5 years, the price difference of $460 is only equal to about $7.67 per month over the five year period. To me it was worth the extra cost for the flexibility. I can't wait for it to arrive. Mine is due to ship on July 15th. Good luck with your decision. From what I have read here, you cannot lose either way.

Wayne
quote:
Originally posted by RaiderBill Largo, Fl:
[qb] Wishing I had a 150 instead of the 50 [/qb]
RaiderBill be careful what you wish for. I started out with an 009. Used it so much I moved up to the 55. I then got a good deal on a model 160 on EBayand have just recently got pick up a Model 72. I think I am a cookshack junkie. The good part is that I was able to sell the 009 and 55 to people who appreciated them.
I just got my 50 and it's a lot easier to do as much as I want in one cook session. I like to make pork and beans when I cook the meat and it's touch to cram all that in the 008. Also, the other day I was switching the location of a couple of pork shoulders in my 50 and it was a breeze to move things around when you have room to shift the trays! It was a lot of money but after two years with the 008, the 50 is really nice.
I just finished eating ribs, I got two slabs left and 10 lbs of pulled pork vacuum sealed in the freezer! That would have been a lot of sessions in that 008.
Heading over to Cabelas today, mostly to drool and ah.
My son and I will be traveling by cycle, This should keep my throbbing impulse at bay.
Although I am going to move up my purchase time to next month.
I can hardly wait. This is terrible I haven't had these kind of jitters since ordering my cycle from HD. 3 years ago.
Just a quick note to say that I too went through the dilema of which unit to purchase and I decided to get the 55 for the space. I am really glad that I did I would not have wanted to be cramped for space when cooking and I plan on cooking in this quite often just my 2 cents .....
Everybody
I just could not take it anymore. I went to Cabelas to purchase a smokers, and they were out of stock. I ended up purchasing the display model. I have it seasoning while im typing. I see it is running a little hot for being set at 200 degrees. It is up to 270 on my remote.
This unit was missing the cook book and the small nut on the lower latch. I will call cookshack in the Am. Im pretty sure they will hook me up with what I need.
Thank you all for input on this subject.
Smoke,

Go to the open forum and read the thread "Lessons for new users". It's at the top of the list of topics.

As it's coming up to temp it will get hot, and there will be fluctuations. Don't worry. Just let the smoker work and all will be fine.

Welcome to the group of owners!

Smokin'
smokejacker

When I seasoned my 55, as per the instructions, the temp spiked at 317*.

Once it has food inside it has not done it since, so I just put it down to all those shinny new internal surfaces, which I might also add, I have not seen again either! Wink Big Grin

I also bought my 55 at Cabellas and on arrival the wood that is packed in the smoker was mouldy and smelly. This was due, I presume, to the months that it was sealed in the smoker between the manufacturing date and the date that I bought it.

No problem��rang Cookshack��..
replacement wood sent out ASAP, free of charge.

Top Customer service!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.