Skip to main content

Got a flat brisket from the same butcher as the marathon 22 hour packer in my last post. Put it in at 225 at 11:00 PM last night. Was woken at 5:15am by the alarm saying it had hit 190. I don't know how anyone can hope to plan dinner with the variability of this cut of meat. Went down and performed the poke test. The meat seemed pretty tough still. I wrapped it with foil and stuck it back in. I set the alarm at 200 degrees. Would it have been better to drop the temperature to 140 and hold for a long time? (or at least until the rest of the family woke up) or cook it hotter first? Should I worry more about overcooking or drying out? Anyway, we'll see how much sleep I get before the meat hits 200 and wakes me up again.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I cook a lot of flats. I like them because you can cook them quicker and they make great sandwiches. I stuck two in this morning around 6:45am, one on a lower rack and one on an upper rack (CS50). Checked temp before I left for church at 8:30am and temp was already at 132 on the lower rack, so I lowered my temp from 225 to 215 because I was afraid they would be overdone before we returned around 12:15pm. Got home and checked them and temp was at 165, so I turned it up to 250 (typically just leave temp on flats at 225 the entire time).

I took small flat off at 2:15pm, so 7.25 hours and the larger flat off at 3pm, 8 hours, that is at temp of 195.

Smaller flat we used for lunch and the larger I vacummed sealed and stuck in the freezer for later use.

I sometimes take my flats to 165 then double wrap in foil and pour on my favorite bbq sauce before sealing and taking them to 195...always juicy.

Often I just leave them as they are and take them to 187 to 195. The one today was excellent, very juicy and great taste. Used CS Brisket Rub, California Style Garlic Salt and Brown Sugar as my rub.

Keep experimenting, I prefer the flats to the whole brisket myself...I know others will differ in opinion, but find what works best for you.
I like to use some bbq sauce to re-heat brisket slices in the microwave. It seems to hide any damage. I never thought of adding sauce partway through the smoke - and double wrapping makes sense. I will try it next time.

I am a newbie and have only done one full brisket. The point seems pretty hard to screw up with all that fat, but I overcooked the flat. I can see how one could spend a lifetime perfecting the brisket.
He ain't kidding. I've been cooking briskets for years and just can't get 1 done just right. I will probably start doing them at 250* and foiling everytime. They seem to be best braised. Only difference is I will cut the point off from the get-go and do it seperately, without the foil, on the bottom shelf.

Disclaimer: I swear, briskets are the only thang I ever foil !!!

Cool
quote:
Originally posted by Dan-Q:
... I don't know how anyone can hope to plan dinner with the variability of this cut of meat....

You're still learning the smoker. Smoking is more art than science, just too many variables.

One lesson we forget to remind people:

Keep good notes

You need to keep notes of your methods, size/weight of what you cook, temps, results etc, what worked, what didn't. That way, when you need to post, you can give good info.

Lots of charts, spreadsheets, etc out there for keeping them, just use what works for you. A simple notebook on each type (ribs, poultry, beef, etc) works pretty well.

You'll find that way, you can repeat your successes and not repeat your failures Big Grin

Smokin'
I think maybe my expectations are too high. I do get the thumbs-up from the better half. Or possibly I can't get a decent quality of meat with enough marbling. I have purchased from two local butchers, so they haven't been cheap - no grocery stores around here carry uncooked briskets and I am not a member of a discount club.
quote:
Originally posted by HogBusGuy:

I sometimes take my flats to 165 then double wrap in foil and pour on my favorite bbq sauce before sealing and taking them to 195...always juicy.

Wouldn't the sauce get greasy with all of the rendered fat? Do you collect the sauce/fat/juice and pour off the fat so you can serve it?
Last edited by Former Member
Most, not all of the fat renders in the 160 to 170 range. Adding sauce is a way of adding liquid and adding flavor. Some do, some don't try to reuse that after cooking.

Back in the 60's when Momma was doing the briskets and I was too young to do the BBQ'in, that's when I first learned about foil. She'd double wrap a brisket, throw on sauce and cook it for 1 hour per pound. Loved that, until I was converted...to Smokin'

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.