Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

If you've got money to throw around look into a "La Caja China" (www.lacajachina.com) You place the racked pig inside, seal up the box and keep a hot fire on the top of the thing. The pig cooks without much air movement around it..sorta like a CS.

I've been toying with the idea of getting one myself, but I'm not sure how often I'd want to do a whole pig...or who in California I'd be able to invite to dinner! Maybe if it was a Soy Pig??
I saw that Bobby Flay show, too, but the first I saw somebody using a La Caja China was a TV show about a Cubano and his son...maybe the owners of the place that makes them (?)

I don't think Bobby was really committed to the idea like the Cubano.

Now, I have North Carolina friends that ONLY do whole hogs...I don't think they know what a pork butt is! But they don't understand thick, sweet, red, goopy sauce either! hahahah
quote:
Originally posted by Thousand Oakie:
If you've got money to throw around look into a "La Caja China" (www.lacajachina.com) You place the racked pig inside, seal up the box and keep a hot fire on the top of the thing. The pig cooks without much air movement around it..sorta like a CS.

I've been toying with the idea of getting one myself, but I'm not sure how often I'd want to do a whole pig...or who in California I'd be able to invite to dinner! Maybe if it was a Soy Pig??

I have one of these. It is 'OK'.... nothing special, and you can't cook as big a pig as they say in it. I have the biggest one and struggled to do a 90 pounder.

I much prefer the www.cuban-christmas.com way.
Well Papa...I read through the site and studied the 'above ground-cinder block-aluminum foil- metal grate' method, and it looked like a lot of work! Admittedly, a fun way to stay the heck out of the women's way 'inside' the house, knocking back several six-packs, but work nonetheless! Razzer

I think you've really got to stoke up the Caja China's to first heat up all that metal, and then have it transfer into the box itself. And even then it may not be 'all that.'

At my church (yes, I said church) we've got a huge in ground affair with concrete blocks, gas piped in to heat up rocks, and then bury the 'quarry' under burlap bags, etc. I always figured a few hundred years from now some paleontologist is going to dig up the remains and figure we had human sacrifices or somesuch!

Thanks for your referral to the 'Cuban-Christmas'!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.