Skip to main content

Hi All!
It seems that not too many folks smoke beef ribs these days. I have been searching for the right method to cook beef back ribs (membrane removed) in my Cookshack model 50 smoker. I have a great rub recipe, Wild Willy's (Smoke and Spice by the Jamison's) and I am trying the new Bullseye "Smokin' Chipotle" sauce for the finish. I have two meaty 3lb slabs waiting for the right treatment. Any tried and true recipes are appreciated! Smiler Thanks!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Cool Thanks to all for the input.
Tom, I hit the link you inserted and found out that a lot of folks are in the same boat as I -- there does not seem to be a whole lot out there on beef back ribs. With the info you kind people have offered me, I think I've got a pretty good heads-up on what I need to do. I'll let you all know how they turn out. Again, many, many thanks!
In a word ... AWESOME!
After hours of reviewing cookbooks, online searches and considering everyone's pointers I ended up with the best beef ribs I've ever tasted ... bar none!
Here's the recipe I setteld on and used in my CS model 55;

2 slabs beef back ribs (3+lbs each) -- membrane removed.

4-tsp French's Mustard

Dry Rub
1 tblsp Spanish Paprika
1 tblsp California Chile Powder
1 tblsp Sea Salt (slightly less than level)
1 tblsp Refined White Sugar (heaping)
1 tblsp Granulated Garlic
1 tblsp Fresh Ground Black Pepper
1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
Pinch Cayenne Pepper

Rub one tsp of mustard on each side of ribs for a thin coating.

Mix dry ingredients and rub equally on all sides of ribs -- use most (or all) of the rub.

Wrap seasoned ribs seperately in plastic and refridgerate overnight.

Allow ribs to sit at room temperature for about 20 minutes before unwrapping and loading into smoker.

Place 1/2 oz. Hickory Chips/Chunks and one Kingsford charcaol briquette (for smoke ring) in wood box ... start smoker about five minutes before loading.

Smoke for 7 hours @ 225 degrees. Remove from oven and wrap in aluminum foil. Allow to rest about 20 minutes at room temp before separating and serving.

Serve "dry" with warm BBQ sauce on the side (I used the new Bullseye "Smokin' Chipotle" ... nice stuff for store-bought).

The smoke was very mild, as was the spice. The meat was very tender and moist with a light bark on the surface.

I may do a little tweaking next time ... 1/4 0z. more wood, slightly more mustard and perhaps the addition of 1 tblsp onion powder ... other than that, I'm very satisfied!

Adjust the wood and spice to your taste, you should not be disappointed!

Thanks so much to everyone for all of your help!
Hi Tom,
I actually did go to "The Smoke Ring" site prior to smoking my ribs -- that is where I got the idea to use a light hand with the rub and the great tip on using a butter knife to loosen the membrane from the bone. My finished ribs took 7 hrs @ 225, and, though not band sawed in half like theirs, looked a lot like the photo they show cooked at 3.5 hrs.
Thanks!
quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyQ:
In a word ... AWESOME!
After hours of reviewing cookbooks, online searches and considering everyone's pointers I ended up with the best beef ribs I've ever tasted ... bar none!
Here's the recipe I setteld on and used in my CS model 55;

2 slabs beef back ribs (3+lbs each) -- membrane removed.

4-tsp French's Mustard

Dry Rub
1 tblsp Spanish Paprika
1 tblsp California Chile Powder
1 tblsp Sea Salt (slightly less than level)
1 tblsp Refined White Sugar (heaping)
1 tblsp Granulated Garlic
1 tblsp Fresh Ground Black Pepper
1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
Pinch Cayenne Pepper

Rub one tsp of mustard on each side of ribs for a thin coating.

Mix dry ingredients and rub equally on all sides of ribs -- use most (or all) of the rub.

Wrap seasoned ribs seperately in plastic and refridgerate overnight.

Allow ribs to sit at room temperature for about 20 minutes before unwrapping and loading into smoker.

Place 1/2 oz. Hickory Chips/Chunks and one Kingsford charcaol briquette (for smoke ring) in wood box ... start smoker about five minutes before loading.

Smoke for 7 hours @ 225 degrees. Remove from oven and wrap in aluminum foil. Allow to rest about 20 minutes at room temp before separating and serving.

Serve "dry" with warm BBQ sauce on the side (I used the new Bullseye "Smokin' Chipotle" ... nice stuff for store-bought).

The smoke was very mild, as was the spice. The meat was very tender and moist with a light bark on the surface.

I may do a little tweaking next time ... 1/4 0z. more wood, slightly more mustard and perhaps the addition of 1 tblsp onion powder ... other than that, I'm very satisfied!

Adjust the wood and spice to your taste, you should not be disappointed!

Thanks so much to everyone for all of your help!

Smoked a rack of beef backs today using this technique combined with some other successful methods mentioned in the forum.

Bought the ribs at WalMart, rubbed with Canadian Steak from Sam's Club, wrapped 'em in plastic wrap and refrigerated overight.

Brought 'em up to room temp, used 2oz of native Maine red oak, set the SM025 at 225 and smoked for five hours, sauced lightly and foiled for two more hours then FTC for an hour.

The results were tender and tasty! A bit overdone for my taste, the meat just fell off the bone...I like some "tooth" to my ribs. But the taste was great.

Next time I'll season 'em a bit lighter and cook 'em a bit less, but beef back ribs are definately going into our smoker fodder rotation.

Thanks to all who contributed their experiences in cooking beef back ribs. Without the shared knowledge of the forum it would take years and years to achieve the quality of product that is so easily made after doing some homework.

SmokinMAINEiac

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.