Skip to main content

I know everyone is into turkeys for the holidays,but this is something I've found well received.

I used to buy booze or cigarettes,etc for my mechanic,postman,trash collector,yard guy,barber, pool guy ,Barbara's haircutter,both our custodian's,etc.

When I could find turkey breasts on sale,I'd cook up a case,or so, of these to give as gifts.

They can't get these from anyone else.

Last year,there were no sales-so I bought butts.

I'd smoke,plastic,foil and freeze.

That way they can serve when they wish,when they may have company and everyone is tired of turkey.

I saved up pint salad dressing bottles,made up a couple gallons of Smokin's style vinegar sauce,and gave one with each butt.

I then wrote out instruction sheets to thaw,heat,pull,season and serve.

We put a red, stickon bow on each.

They have all recently commented how much their families enjoyed the butts for the holidays last year.

Maybe that means they'd like another? Wink

I like to cook and practice and our gift is one of a kind.

Winn-Dixie is selling butts this week, buy one get one free, that works out to $1.10/lb.

Albertsons is selling country style ribs for $0.99/lb.

I'm sure, if you asked,the meat manager would prefer to sell them to you as whole butts.

This saves him trimming,slicing ,and packaging.

Sam's is $1.19/lb.

Just a thought ,that works for us.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Great idea, Tom! I too have considered this, and now that I have a food sealer, I was thinking of making up a bunch of pork butts, pulling, sealing and freezing them into family sized portions, and giving these bags of heavenly frozen Q to friends and family as Xmas gifts.

As you say, it's a one of a kind gift! I've never done this before, so I'm glad to hear that it has been well rec'd by your recipients.
Tom...

I've sealed leftover pulled pork and freezed it to reheat and eat later...

I'd like to do what you're talking about for some friends/family... Do you just freeze the finished butt whole or do you pull it first and then freeze?

If you do pull it first, do you add finishing sauce/rub prior to freezing or do you let the recipient do the seasoning when they reheat?

Thanks a lot...Happy Holidays!
I freeze these whole ,have them thaw and reheat at 225�-250�.

Takes about 2-3 hrs.

My teammate,Ribdog, cuts them in half and plastics each half.

That way folks don't have to thaw as much at once.

They seem to get more from the experience of having a butt pull apart in their own hands.

I wouldn't say I'm generous,just taking care of the service people that take care of me all year.

Selfish interests?LOL

GeyserQ,you're welcome to stop by for a feed, anytime you're in the neighborhood.
Tom,
You are just full of great ideas!
Thanks for the instructions!
I'm a secret Santa for a girl at work that has been widowed recently. Do you think that would be a neat idea for her gift as well as giving her something personal?
I think she might not want to do much cooking but might want to participate in holiday activities a little. This way she can cook a little and have something to contribute if she goes to a party or something.
I really love this idea, thanks for sharing it.
Peggy
I've been doing that for years, well 2 years! And I always make a bottle of BBQ sauce to go with it. I buy 12 ounce squirt bottles by the case from the local restaurant supply place for about 75 cents each when bought in bulk.

I also make my own mustards.

And I make computer labels to put on the bottles.
Well, my secret Santa was delighted! We had cooked a brisket, pork butt, and ribs during our practice. I cut a portion of the brisket, wrapped in plastic, then foil. Did the same with a slab of ribs. Packaged pulled pork in a plastic bag, about 2 lbs., wrapped it in foil. Froze the lot for 4 days. Placed it all in a styrofoam chest, and attached a bow and heating instructions.
She is recently widowed and has lots of family nearby. Wanted to attend family gatherings, but felt she had nothing to contribute and just feeling pretty low in general.
Thank you, Tom, for the wonderful idea!
Peggy
P.S. I also enclosed a jar of Moose Kick sauce.
This also made me so appreciative of Jack, cause it wouldn't have gotten done otherwise. All the ladies should hug their husbands, now.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.