Skip to main content

I'm considering adding a smoker to my restaurant. Not yet ready to dish out several thousand yet. Was wondering if it's recommended to go with one of the non-commercial units like the CookShack SM050. I'm also looking at the Bradley digital 6 rack. I called Bradley and they informed me that many commercial outfits use this and other Bradley smokers in their businesses

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated

The Chicago Connection
Restaurant & Pizzeria

3210 W. Ridge Road
Gary IN. 46408
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Good news! Checked with CookShack, the Model 50 is UL Listed but NOT NSF approved, I think it's pending or something. But also checked with my city's board of health dept. They say it's alright to use it in my restaurant (which is what I wanted) but for some strange reason, not to use it outdoors commercially. For my personal use it's alright but not commercially... go figure.

Thanks for the info, I guess I'll go ahead and order that smoker.
quote:
Originally posted by Antonio:
...snip They say it's alright to use it in my restaurant (which is what I wanted) but for some strange reason, not to use it outdoors commercially. For my personal use it's alright but not commercially... go figure.

The reason they, along with many other local health jurisdictions, don't want you to use it outdoors is because major food preparation areas need to be protected from insects and other vermin, and that a handwashing station needs to be in immediate proximity. This varies by jurisdiction, but it is a common regulation.

I would bet they would say outdoors would be ok if: 1. the Cookshack will be sitting outside on a concrete pad within a completely screened-in and covered structure (like a sun porch); 2. that there will be a handwash station inside the structure.

Give 'em a call and ask. BTW, you really can't equate the concerns raised by health district regulations with regard to commercial kitchen issues verses personal-use cooking.
I use the SM50 in my restaurant every day. I cook ribs and chicken in it every single day we are open and think it does a fine job. My local health dept have never had a problem with it. If you are on a budget and want to be able to offer quality Q to your guests,the little cook shack is great.I smoke 4 whole split chickens and 6 racks of baby backs 6 days a week and usualy sell out.I have put 8 butts in it and gone home for the night on many occasions as well. Butts are ready to pull by 8am and they taste great. I also have a lang and use it for my Brisket. It is a personal choice for me. I just love the taste of a brisket on an offset smoker. Nothing against my CookShack but the slow smoke flavor of my Lang on brisket is tough to beat.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.