Skip to main content

First big one for me Smiler
Question what are you guys rule of thumb for how may pounds of uncooked butt needed base on expected turnout. Also I will probably also be doing jerk chicken as well Any Swag (my favorte
made up word stand for scientific wild ass guess) on how much less pork per person when chicken is also a food option?

Thanks in Advance

Don Campbell
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Rule of thumb, 1 lb raw bone-in PB = 8 oz cooked product.

If pork butt was the only entree being served, I'd allow 8-10 oz(cooked) per person. If you're offering chicken as well, figure 4-6 oz of chicken + 4-6 oz of PB.

More details would help. A luncheon requires less meat vs a dinner. A ladies church group requires less than a Sumo Wrestlers Convention Smiler
Last edited by maxq
I'm no pro,but I have worked with several.

This is not a direct answer,but might tag onto Max's good advice.This is from the FIND feature at page top.

Elizabeth's Catering Portions

Like Max says,it may depend on time of day,how they are dressed,etc.The mix of folks is important.

Most folks will eat pulled pork-if they know what it is.

Dressed up women may eat small breast portions of poultry -that they can use utensils.

Many may skip buns,unless they are served that way.
If there are kids mixed in,they may eat hotdogs and fill up on chips and junk.

Unless you prepare the plates,we find many will skip breads and carbs.

Just a couple of thoughts.
Last edited by tom
Wow thanks for the quick responces though I was the only one up at 5am! There is a very cool Cigar Bar/Coffee shop in downtown Pittsburgh the Leaf and Bean. It's for their block party would guess 60pct men maybe a pit higher so I'm thinking eaters... so maybe even if serving chicken-skin on might still keep portions at 8z per for the pulled pork.If planning 250 sandwiches figure 160 rolls sound about right.

Thanks Again good to be back in the forum

DC

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.