Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Get-r-

Before calling CS, do a two or three hour test of your temps (That is what Tony at CS will have you do). Apparently an empty cooker tends to have some pretty severe temp swings, and the overall temps average about right. When I did this test when I first got my 055, temps shot up over 300*, but then dropped below 180* (while set at 225). A two hour chart of the temps at 15 min. intervals showed an accurate average temp.
The beauty of this particular test allows for a two hour "research" time, unmolested to drink bourbon and smoke a cigar!

It may be a faulty therm, but apparently these extreme swings worry a lot of customers that call in.
get-R

I had the same temp issue when I first got my CS50. When you measure the oven temp empty and new, there are some pretty dramatic temp swings. Mine hit a high of 320 deg and low of 185 when the thermostat was set at 225.

I suggest you season it per the directions and then smoke a big pork butt to help improve the seasoning. Follow directions in Smokins 101 for the butt.

I think you will find that the more you use the smoker the temps will stabilze. At least that is the way it worked for me.
Was looking through some old notes while thinking about that turkey coming up and saw where I cooked the first turkey 14 hours at 200* and how awful it was and way too smokey!

I kept thumbing through the notebook and found another turkey cook that took 9 hours at 225*, and said it was just alright.

I finally found a turkey cook with a 12 pounder that took 6 hours at 250* with 1 oz apple wood to reach 173* in the breast, smoke was just right, everyone loved it. It was Thanksgiving '04.

I hope it goes that good this coming thursday.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.