Skip to main content

Below is a brief recipe that Fast Eddy sent me when I got my FE100 last spring. I also own a CS 150...now if I could just figure how to mate the two so I could have a CS/FE off spring!

This general and can be broken down for any one meat or go the whole thing. It looks like this is how Eddy may have won many contests using one oven for all his entries. Not sure about that but it appears that way.
The chicken is the most important instruction. Until only recently I was afraid to put anything on the bottom shelf. But to get the crisp skin that's where it has to be. I found that if I followed his instructions I didn't have much time in the "wide open" mode. Next time I'll try about 1 1/2 hours at 275*F then open her up until proper internal temp. I butterflied my whole roasters, he does his cut up.

You have no idea how much I do and will appreciate this forum, God bless you SmokinOkie and the rest of this gang!

---------------------------------------------
Brisket & Butts on 8-9PM
2 briskets top shelf fat side up
butts on 2nd shelf
225deg til 5AM then 275 deg
7AM take briskets off top and put fat down under butts, Turn butts over
8:30AM briskets wrap in foil after 180 deg - turn butts
Cook briskets to 200 and butts to 190 - then holding cooler.

Ribs
8AM on top rack 3 slabs baby backs cook 275 deg 3 to 4 hours
looking for them to bend in middle but not break
when done wrap and place in cooler

Chicken
10 AM bottom shelf Cook legs and thighs, cut apart
170 internal in thigh. Start at 275 and when ribs go off,
turn pit wide open to finish chicken.
---------------------------------------------
Peter

Things past! Now what?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well Capt'N will have to figure out the FE and 150 thing together. I'm sure if I think about it for a while I can come up with some ideas. The key about the 150 is that it maintains moisture very well.

Have any other recipes you want to share? Feel like I'm starting over...and that's have the fun.
Yes, to figure this new marriage is going to be interesting.

So you'll know how to read his instructions above. You need to know according to Fast Eddy, the first shelf is the top and the fourth the bottom, etc.

I know there is about a 25 degree difference from the top to the bottom with the old FE 100, I wonder what some of you all have found with the CS/FE100. The old verion has 1 and 1/2 inches of 1200*F rock wool, if I remember correctly. I know the old CS150 I have also is insulated about the same.

The CS150 wouldn't produce a bark or smoke ring and the FE100 does and a very nice one at that. They both retain moisture, however the CS 150 did a bit better. I am curious what there is now in this area.

The cabinet without the rubber door gasket means no replacement in the future but it is more convenient to lay your probe wires through the door opening over the gasket without damage with the old set up. However a really nice large exhaust pipe makes it easier, unless you need to close the stack with a flue pipe like I did with the oven indoors.

So there is no perfect world but I am confidient that Fast Eddy knows what he is doing. I am looking forward to the CS/FE100 someday for 2 reasons...one being how much better it probably is, which ain't easy to do, and secondly when I buy a second smoker I'll know my business is really doing well.

I really love my FE100 so I know you all have to be enjoying the CS/FE100. There is only one thing that might bother some that are new to these ovens and that would be that it is all to easy!

Peter

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.