Skip to main content

March 1, 2006

Fast Eddy's FEC 100 Updated with IQ3 Electronic Controller

Effective later this month, the Fast Eddy's by Cookshack Model FEC100 will come standard with Cookshack's IQ3 controller, with an optional meat probe. You set the internal temperature, and the cook and hold temperatures. When meat reaches the desired internal temperature, the smoker automatically goes into a holding cycle. Cool, huh? Turning out winning 'que just got easier than ever. Call John or Fast Eddy

Any other features on the new controller?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Chilton:
[qb]PS Is this legal for KCBS competitions? [/qb]
Well, I'm sure they will try to ban it. But technically it's probably the same as one of those Smart Electronics you buy for the WSMs

Yup, it's official and the rumors are true, the new controller will be out.

Can you retrofit it? Don't have the final answer, but I believe they wanted to (at least that's the last I heard).

Technically it's the same controller used on the commercial electric CS's. But I believe there is an added fan inside.

Trust me when I say there will be LOTS of hollerin' when this hits the street. KCBS will be up in arms. Okay, here's the scenario why. I put butts on and set a temp of 188 (remember, you can set an exact temp) and then it automatically goes to hold. So, WHY do I need to be there, now I can get even MORE sleep at a contest.

Now I'll probably not use that feature in contests, but if you're a caterer, what an AWESOME feature.

More info will be coming.

Smokin'
I know this might be heresy but I am fine with my old FEC. If I am cooking a load of butts and I put the probe in a butt that finishes early, I don't want the FEC going to a hold mode. I realize I don't have to use the meat probe but I will want to understand why this controller will be better for someone in my situation. I mean other than the fact that it is not made by Traeger.
Main reason John would be temp. Do you want 225, then set it to 225. Do you want 188, then set it to 188. Do you want 305...etc etc.

Number one reason is the controller itself. The traeger has had enough said about it here on the forum that we don't need to relive that.

CS now owns the controller and can make any adjustments it seems necessary. I'm sure Stuart and FE can give details.
Personally,I'm waitin' for the Smokin' Okie five probes on each rack,charted every minute,over a 24 hr cook,with all variations of comp cooking electric.

While you are at it,I'd like to see the eight main woods,in 10% variation of blends,with the four main blending woods.

It would be nice to see 100� of ambient temps charted in 10� increments,along with 80% change in relative humidity,in 10 � increments.

If you could throw in zero wind to 80mph in 10 mph increments,that would be nice also.

If you could show infared photos of all meats from 1 oz to 18lbs,in 1 oz increments that would be nice.

If you could show a curve from 90 days to 16 years in one week increments ,that would be nice.

Altitude from sea level would be nice also.

Now that I've tied up your spare time,might as well come over to Fl and vacation.

I'm glad I have an old ,outa date,FEC to take on the trail. Wink
When I was at the Dec. FEC class, Stuart gave us a preview of this controller. Another feature it has is automatic re-lighting if the fire goes out. The controller senses the no fire condition and turns on the ignitor to re-light it. It is also supposed to have much more accurate temperature control than the Traeger controller.

Mike
Guys, we're starting to sound like another forum out there.

"Understanding of a rule" doesn't apply. That's a contest rep overstepping his authority.

Have to agree with Fred and Craig on this on, about the rule interpretation.

Let's celebrate the new controller, overcoming many of the limitations of the old traeger and see what develops.

We also know KCBS is arbitrary in rules and quite possible never would have made it an issue if we didn't bring it up. Don't ask the question if you don't want the answer.

FYI, I've never seen a contest rep after midnight and before 7am so I doubt he's watching my pit for 15 hours and you know what, you wouldn't even know it happened if it did or didn't unless you are watching it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.