Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

An inquiry for FEC users. How many pounds of pellets on an average would you use smoking 14 to 16 hours at 225 degrees. Just trying to get a fix on operating costs. Are these smokers acceptable for all competition bbq cookoffs? I have owned a smokette and a off-set smoker for years, but no very little about Fast Eddy's units. I'm an interested party.
quote:
Originally posted by smoky:
Are these smokers acceptable for all competition bbq cookoffs?

Don't know about "all" but the recognized groups (KCBS, MIM, IBCA, FBA, etc) allow them. Some of the mom-pop might not, you just never know -- but they won't have much in payouts either.

As for use, plan on about a 1lb an hour. Haven't tracked it in a while, but that's good for planning purposes. Someone I'm sure tracks it by the oz and can probably be more specific.

Welcome!

Russ
Smokin Okie,

I appreciate the reply. That's what I needed to know. One pound per hour! I forgot one thing. I would still have to have access to electricity for the functioning of the hopper? I hope I worded that right. ThanQue....

quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
quote:
Originally posted by smoky:
Are these smokers acceptable for all competition bbq cookoffs?

Don't know about "all" but the recognized groups (KCBS, MIM, IBCA, FBA, etc) allow them. Some of the mom-pop might not, you just never know -- but they won't have much in payouts either.

As for use, plan on about a 1lb an hour. Haven't tracked it in a while, but that's good for planning purposes. Someone I'm sure tracks it by the oz and can probably be more specific.

Welcome!

Russ
Thanks Ribdog,
I guess since pellet cookers are the only thing besides pits that are acceptable in competition cook-offs it would mean that all cook-off spaces wouldn't have access to electricity. Am I right or wrong? The next thing for the game plan would be a generator???

quote:
Originally posted by RibDog:
Yes, you will need an electric hookup in order to drive the augur and the fan.
Thanks Tom,
I guess I am going to have to put further thought in this FEC and do some more research on the cook-offs. Thanks for getting back to me.

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Chilton:
Hi smoky, all the cookoffs I've been to have electricity available, but sometimes it's not real reliable. Another way to go besides the generator would be a deep cycle battery and an inverter. Good luck.
All my contests last year (11) had power. 4 or 5 of them I'd say the power was less than reliable and either went down during the night or too many people were pulling too many amps.

I had 2 FE's and one battery/inverter for each one.

For my new trailer, I went the next step. I have two deep cycles hooked up to a battery inverter/charger and it's a smart boy, it charges the battery and runs the FE's on supplied power. If the power drops the inverter kicks in. This is a higher end version so I could mount it and not worry.

Russ

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.