Skip to main content

Good day to all 'smokers'. I have been a stick burner for many years and I am now looking at converting to an FEC100, BUT very concerned about many comments on the forum made by owners regarding numerous problems with their unit, i.e., tripped electric circuits, proper leveling to ensure grease drainage to prevent internal fires, etc. It appears to me the unit may require just as much attention as a tradional smoker just to ensure none of the gremlins show up. My question is, are these problems isolated, or do I have to truly worry about them. Any input (reassurance) would be greatly appreciated)
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I think ,if you read forums/comment lines of any kind,you will find a problem posted by someone that has one.

Sometimes they can be legit,sometimes operator error.

i.e,if someone we know had a very bad day,a car accident,heart attack,etc they would be focused and dwell on that.

The other 1,000 folks we know probably don't call us up and say-"gosh the weather is partly sunny,we are in the rerun season for TV,my kids seem just like the neighbors' kids,grocery prices seem to be stable ,my wife's job is same ol'-same ol',it is dry -so my car doesn't need washing,to early in the spring to start my vegetable garden,my car gas mileage is the same as last year"

I guess you can see the trend.

The guys with the other 1,000 cookers don't log on and say" yep,sorry there is no report about my cooker -again this year- same old boring stuff,and butt prices didn't change,either"

Just thought I'd take a few minutes and report nothing. Smiler

We have six FEC s, among our home and contest cookers.

One of these years, we will probably have one of those problems.

In the meantime,at cookoffs,we put the big meats on about 8PM and go to the motel for the night.

We come back over for breakfast,take them out and put the ribs in,socialize and maybe go to town.

We haul all over the southeast.

Mine set outside by the beach in s fl and I cook right through the rainy season.

I might set mine up on the same schedule,40 mph wind,3-4 inches of rain during the night and go on to bed.-just like the stickburners. Wink

I like to drive large GM sedans and I have heard about some folks having a problem,sometimes.

Seems like I service mine,put fuel in it,and never bother to mention it.

Cookshack has a full refund offer,and will even take your smaller one on trade for the next size.

Call the company and see if there is anyone sent one back-you'd like to buy it.

That quick response, should answer some questions. Wink

Hope this helps a little.
It's easier in forum to note the "negative" so it appears is if there are issues.

You don't see reports from 100's of users that have zero issues.

The example is the two issues (below) are just recent posts, so they're still fresh

Ask anything, we'll help if we can.

Your questions:

quote:
tripped electric circuits

This is a rare case and CS responded that if you have had that issue, call them. They fix it and that's the key thing to take away. I've never had that grounding issue with the smoker in almost 5 years and 4 FE's (all models)

quote:
proper leveling

Not a big issue at all, if you never move it, level it once. The issue is there only if you travel with it to contests or have it in a trailer. But once you set it in place, it doesn't move.

quote:
just as much attention as a traditional smoker

Not EVEN a comparison. No sticks, no fire management challenges.

I will say, no matter what smoker you have, there are learning curves. You have to realize, because of design there will be changes, but I'd say 99% of the users only take 1 or 2 cooks to really get a feel for it, then the fun.

That doesn't answer every question you'll have, but read the Owners forum in the FE section. I don't think any of the issues raised didn't get resolved.
Bige

I too (as many here) have been a stick burner at one time or another. Heck i still have my stick burner and use it atleast once a year for a big party or event. I use it because I miss the nostalgia... I miss dealing with stoking a fire, adjusting baffles, moving meat around to ensure an even cook, drinking heavily (while I baby-sit the food) and spending the day afterwards cleaning the monster up. Guess you could say sometimes I like to go back and remember how much more difficult BBQ was before my FEC.

There are some minor issues, but Tom nailed it. More people are likely to pose problematic issues on the board VS saying how great life is. Although, if you do some searching you will find plenty of those posts as well.

It's a truly solid machine, and I would highly recommend it to anyone. Good people supporting the product from shipping to tech support to these boards.
Bige,

I did have astick burner, and I did have grease fire in it. I've had no fires, yet. But I do clean it out on a regular basis. I do puts loads in it and not mess with it for 7-8 hours.

I'm going to do 2 buts and 2 briskets on saturday evening. They will go on at 11:00 and I won't check on it till 7:00 in the morning.

RandyE
bige:

I feel your pain., as 2 1/2 years ago I was in your shoes (go back and read my posts expressing similar concerns in the spring of 2006).

But I bit the bullet, and couldn't be happier. In fact I was just thinking about that on Sunday when I was smoking chicken thighs. Despite the fact that I have had two occasions when I got excessive smoke, I found that only happened when I tried to start the unit on 325. It doesn't happen when I start the unit on a lower temp, then push it up. In short, I consider my FEC 100 to be one of the best purchases I ever made! You'll think so too the first time you smoke pork shoulders for pulled pork, and are able to sleep all night! It is a thing of Beauty!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.