Skip to main content

I can't believe it has taken me a week to do my maiden voyage on my new FEC 100! BUT, TODAY IS THE DAY!! I am starting with ribs.
1. Put only 3 racks, meat side up, on the third rack from the bottom with the smoker cold and the ribs at room temp with my rub rubbed. Time 11:05am. Temp = 275
2. Will check in 1 1/2 hrs and spray with apple juice.
3. Will check a second time in another 1 1/2 hr. Flip and spay again.
4. Will check again in 30 min and flip when meat starts to pull away from the bone. Brush with sauce to finish.

I'm going to be starving by the time this gets done!!!!! Big Grin
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Here is the first pic of the ribs. Cooked 3hrs spayed with apple juice half way through. then I sauced them and let cook for another 20 minutes. Covered with foil and let rest for 30 minutes.

Here's my take....Good smoke and flavor but a bit on the dry side and not done enough. They needed another hour I would guess. They were still a bit tough.

Letting them cook longer is a no brainer but what suggestions on increasing the moisture?

I have a couple more pics to post but couldn't get but one at a time

Thanks
Todd
update on the first attempt at ribs.

After pulling them to soon from the smoker (3hrs 20min +-) and covered for 30min I put some apple juice in the pan and placed in the oven for 30 min at 250. Shut off the oven and left in for another 30min. Mom and the boys are HAPPY. They are now pull off the bone and very good. I need to adjust my rub to be a bit more sweet and less spicy and I will be very close to where I want to be.

Todd
Todd,

Good first start. For my spares, I trim them St. Lous, 275 for 4 hours has them almost perfect each time.

Keep good notes. On ribs, it really helps to know the weights of each rack and you're timing will get closer. There is SUCH variatioon in weight, that it's pretty much a given with the different weights you could easily been an hour or two off.

Sounds like a winner first time out.

Russ

p.s. I deleted the bad photo link (Moderator)
Hubba,

here's what you do.

I looked at your gallery and when I look at the larger photo, I right clicked and copied "properties"

I think started a reply and inserted that link in the window that pops up when you click on the little icon that looks like a photo.

Great looking stuff.

p.s. Noticed your gallery is in MobileMe and I just got Mrs. Smokin the IPAD 3G last Friday (ordered it two months ago) Love it.
Russ,
I good idea..add the pic directly to the post and not as an attachment!

The ribs were much better after the last 30 min in the pan with some apple juice. I didn't eat anymore last night so I had 1/2 rack for lunch today and they were perfect in terms of smoke, and texture. I don't like them mushy and these were spot on. I did use some of the mild sauce I got from Cookshack to dip in and I liked it. I'm going to use the cookshack rub and sauce on the big batch I do tomorrow.

thanks again!
Todd

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.