Skip to main content

The maiden voyage of my new FE100 was smoking a corned beef. Soaked it in water for 24 hours to reduce salt, made a salt-free rub with just a little too much chipolte powder, and smoked for 10 hours.

This smoker is incredible, set it and forget it--although I was checking it every couple hours cause that is what I have done for so many years. I had a Polder probe in the meat so I did not have to open the door. Started at smoke setting for 8 hours, turned it up two notches in the last 2 hours cause I needed to get ready for work and the meat was only 160. took it off when meat read 185, wrapped in foil to slowly cool down.

Reheated tonight to slice, friends stopped by to help sample, darn if we did not eat nearly that whole piece of meat (7 lbs raw). Very little left, maybe 2-3 decent sandwiches.

thanks Cookshack and Fast Eddy for making a fine cooking unit. One suggestion--add to your operating manual the idea of covering the drip tray with foil. I was so excited about starting my first cook I did not think of doing that and now I got a little scrubbing to do.

More later as I learn more. thanks to everyone that posted their tips here. I have been browsing the archives for a couple weeks and have learned a lot.
Original Post

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.