Skip to main content

Has anyone found fresh salmon yet in places like Costco or Sam's? I saw Copper River Sockeye (my absolute favorite) in Sam's a week ago, but they wanted $25 per lb. Outrageous! I've never paid that much for even fresh King (Chinook) salmon. The past few years (even last year), Costco near me has had fresh sockeye, about 1.5 lb per side, for around $12 per lb, which is pretty good. Last week, they had it, but only about 1 lb per side and not very nice looking, kinda chewed up by the pin-bone removal process. I like to do about 30 lb per summer to freeze, and I'd like to get started!

Last edited by jay1924
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well, It seems the wild sockeye are running small this year, at least so far. Costco had some good looking fillets this week at $11.99 per lb, about the same as lat year, but only about 1 lb per side, pretty small. I smoke 8 oz pieces, so I bought 6 sides to fill two racks of my SM066. Anyway, I'll see what happens tomorrow after overnight brining.

Finished about 6 lbs of sockeye salmon from Costco yesterday. I was surprised that despite the small and thin halves, they turned out very good. I watched the IT closely because of uncertainty about probe placement in such a thin piece of fish, but all turned out well. The fillet pieces actually were moist enough to flake apart in the thicker parts after refrigeration overnight. So I am encouraged that i can make my annual summer goal of 30 lbs of smoked salmon in the freezer for the winter. I've got my fingers crossed.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.