Skip to main content

I need to do a deep clean on my backup SM045. We had a flood here that didn't get to the smoker, but had high humidity for some time after. The smoker still works, but is fairly gross inside. I don't want to use something that will leave a residue. I do have a small steam cleaner but I am sort of afraid to use this with all of the electrics. I think this is going to take more than just scraping things down. I am open to any suggestions on how to do this.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Mike, I don't envy you the task, but here are my first thoughts, if I had to do it. I would definitely start with scraping, with a plastic paint scraper with the smoker cold to do as much as you reasonably can. Then I'd warm up the smoker for a short time and do it again. After that, you have to decide if you want to use any kind of cleaner or grease cutter (like Simple Green) or not. If not (I would choose not) based on how much crud is left, I'd use rags and water as hot as you can handle (insulated gloves), scraping again as things loosen up (maybe a stiff disposable brush). Then heat the smoker to dry everything out and then scrape again and wipe clean with more hot water-soaked rags. Repeat as necessary. Just my $.02. Good luck!

Not a pleasant task

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.