Skip to main content

I like my pork fairly well smoked. I was told that the FEC 100 produces a less smoky product than the SM Cookshack models. Do the pellet versions produce a product as smoky as the Cookshack electrics that use a heating element & wood chunks? I currently own a Pitt's & Spitts offset firebox smoker, and was hoping to get equally smoky results without the constant tending hassles of an offset firebox stick burner.

-Jeff
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Smoky is VERY subjective.

Just in my discussions with others, but I think a lot of stick burners actually oversmoke their meats and get used to that. When they come to an FE, they can't get that same Strong or Oversmoked taste, because of the burning method.

Really hard to tell, you have to taste some and see. Some will tell you mesquite is too strong and others say it's not strong enough. It's very, very subjective.

For comps, the FE's win plenty with their Pork Butts, so it's not affecting scoring.

There are some techniques to get more Smoke in FE's. The problem is above the 245 setting, the wood is burning so efficiently, it's producing clean smoke, but maybe not enough of it. At the smoke/180 setting, you can produce plenty. You might have to adjust the receipes to stay at those temps, then kick it up once the meat gets to 140 internal.
OK, for some clarification on my opinion of "smokiness." I think Mesquite is OK for a grilled steak. The bitter taste is different, and the steak is only exposed to it for a little while. Using mesquite for smoking for hours seems like a bad idea to me. To quote Ray Lampe, (Dr. BBQ) it would end up "tasting like something that came out of the Devil's ass crack." As far as Hickory and Cherry wood flavor go, I like it fairly strong. I have never taken meat out of my Pitts & Spitts, and thought it was oversmoked. I am hoping to get the same results with an FEC 100, with a lot less hassle required of an offset firebox stick burner. Does that help?
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
Smoky is VERY subjective.

Just in my discussions with others, but I think a lot of stick burners actually oversmoke their meats and get used to that. When they come to an FE, they can't get that same Strong or Oversmoked taste, because of the burning method.

Really hard to tell, you have to taste some and see. Some will tell you mesquite is too strong and others say it's not strong enough. It's very, very subjective.

For comps, the FE's win plenty with their Pork Butts, so it's not affecting scoring.

There are some techniques to get more Smoke in FE's. The problem is above the 245 setting, the wood is burning so efficiently, it's producing clean smoke, but maybe not enough of it. At the smoke/180 setting, you can produce plenty. You might have to adjust the receipes to stay at those temps, then kick it up once the meat gets to 140 internal.

Excellent advice. Thanks! -Jeff
Like Smokin' says,"it is subjective".

Our team does fairly well with the smoke level,in comps,as all the other FEC teams do.

As to taste,three of us are those dreaded "master judges",and the 4th is also a very experienced judge.

We are CBJ's for KCBS,MIM,FBA,so we taste an assortment of products from an assortment of cookers.

I only mention the above,as it might be helpful as some kind of reference in our tasting product.

Hope this helps a little.

Tom-Fl
FireHouseBBQ
Depends on method and model.

Pre-UL need to use smoke setting before and after cooking and the after takes forever to get back to smoke.

The UL model does much better and produces good smoke up to 225f setting. While you do need to vacuum the firebowl every time, it will not get as hot and has flamed out on me the UL model is the better "SMOKER" of the two models. I've cooked 10,000's of pounds of meat in both models.
quote:
Originally posted by KP Cowboy:
Does anyone do this ? Is this the new trend or secret ?

Well if it's a secret, they won't be talking...

SOME..and I say some, just like to tinker. They're looking for an edge, something different. Some people are just trying to get more smoke taste onto/into the meat.

Maybe they're just experimenting. Ask them next time you see them at a contest.
Jeff,
The newer ramp models of the FE smoke a lot when on the smoke setting. Even more so up here at altitude. I used to cook on wsm's and I also cook on a team with a stick burner and I can get as much smoke flavor in my pork butts with the FE as they do with a stick burner. Things that affect how much smoke I get are:
1. My cooking method ie, smoke setting, 250 etc
2. Pellets. Some pellets produce more smoke than others. I used BBQer's Delight and get plenty of smoke
3. Weather. If it is windy out or the temp outside is high I don't get as much smoke.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I live in Pueblo but compete all over Colorado. I have 2 FE's and love cooking on them.

Mark
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff in Denver:
OK, for some clarification on my opinion of "smokiness." I think Mesquite is OK for a grilled steak. The bitter taste is different, and the steak is only exposed to it for a little while. Using mesquite for smoking for hours seems like a bad idea to me. To quote Ray Lampe, (Dr. BBQ) it would end up "tasting like something that came out of the Devil's ass crack." As far as Hickory and Cherry wood flavor go, I like it fairly strong. I have never taken meat out of my Pitts & Spitts, and thought it was oversmoked. I am hoping to get the same results with an FEC 100, with a lot less hassle required of an offset firebox stick burner. Does that help?

Please do not tell Goode and Company in Houston cooking with mesquite is not goode, they produce some good Q and are well known for it

I didn't have a problem with my smoker coming up to temp with 13 racks of ribs. The issue was that although I used 4.5 ounces of cherry wood, they had no smoke flavor. So I used 2 cups of leftover pellets from a pellet smoker (Kingsford chef's blend), and the finished product was perfect. The Cookshack Sm160 is a good smoker, but you must use the correct amount of seasoning and wood. Also, it would help if you wrapped your ribs when you get the color you want. People eat with their eyes before they eat with their mouths. Unwrapped ribs become too dark and are unappealing regardless of how good they taste.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.