Skip to main content

Hi All,

I had an Amerique on order, but after doing a lot of research on the forums I ended up upgrading my order to an FEC100. I am super stoked.

I live in Vancouver, BC and would love your feedback on the following...

I'm trying to decide whether to build a shed and put the FEC100 in it with ventilation or to just have a patio cover built to keep it dry..

Our weather here is basically wet and rarely gets below 20 fareinheit.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Due to a lack of indoor (commercial)kitchen space, I have my FEC parked outside under a custom built eve. I live in Vermont and haven't had any issues. I purchased the FEC100 cover and it's designed so to allow access to the cabinet door while keeping the control panel protected from the elements.

Buy the cover and park the FEC under an eve. You'll be fine. As Bubba mentioned, if you go the outdoors route you might consider adding a 90 degree elbow to the vent to prevent wind, rain, etc from disturbing the fire box.

Welcome to the forum. You're gonna love the FEC.
RibDog: leaning towards your suggestion

bubba: really good to know

MaxQue: thanks for the feedback - that makes me confident to just cover my patio

Yellow: found your pics, stamped concrete looks awesome, your contractor did a great job with your cover, looks great.

I'm going to go for a glass patio cover - have a small backyard and want to keep it well lit.

Thanks everybody - can't wait!

I hope my wife likes it lol I told her I was 'researching' smokers for maybe this summer. She's going to come home from work in a few weeks and see a new patio cover with a fec 100 under it.
Last edited by Former Member
Hey Shangoolman!,

Let me know how that turns out with the wife. I've been kicking the same thought around in my head. Seems like a lot of work for a smoker,building a cover, I'm wondering if my wife would like a enclosed trailer to keep her smoker in? LOL...I'd better think a little longer on this,ya know! Maybe the porch cover would be a better idea.

Congrats and good luck with the new smoker!
When my wife asks me about any of my new toys I usually try the old line “oh, I’ve had that a long time. This is just the first time I’ve used it”. It seems to work about 85% of the time, but I don’t think I could pull it off with a new FEC100 and a patio cover.

Cal I'm thinking about the enclosed trailer idea myself.
It's not that hard, just start a new thread, click on the picture icon and copy/paste the links I sent. Then put text before/after to describe.

Don't worry, I can edit it if you don't get it right. But you can't edit mine if I do it for you and I don't have the details.

Go ahead, start a new post and put the details in about your pictures and I'll be watching.
cal: i think an enclosed trailer makes the most sense. maybe you can just say your holding it for a friend?

chef-boy-arnie: if she doesn't beleive me can i send her your way? my wife is used to me doing stuff like this i've set a good precedence over the years.

jjhacker: great to know - i committed to the patio cover and am looking forward to using the fec all year round.

steve: great to see a local on here. love your setup man! looks awesome. I ordered a cover for the fec - do you think a squirrel might run in there while i'm smoking? where did you get the cap for yours? btw i found the saturday night brisket video and your dance moves are inspiring Smiler
You're going to enjoy your FEC when you get it no matter how its covered or not. I dont need the cookshack cover to protect it but it does look skook'm. You certainly dont need it to maintain temps as these things are very well insulated. And the smoke flavour is just fine although some on this forum do seem to think not enough smoke flavour. I use hickory and sometime have it set to a lower temp for a bit if I want more smoke flavour. You'll experiment and figure what works best for you.
Shangoolman. I get great pork butts from Pete at Beltrame Meats in Langley. Full Angus packers and side ribs I get from T and T market. You have to ask the guy behind the counter for a full untrimmed brisket in teh cryovac. They know what I want now but at first was a bit of a challenge.
Pags. I never take myself seriously. Michael got the moonwalk idea from me many years ago. He just tweaked it a bit.
Steve - just got here today.

Went quickly to the hardware store and bought some plywood so I could roll it into my backyard. The side of my house is gravel and has a steep incline so got a decent workout :O

It's seasoning right now. I was told 250* for 4 hours.

Going to hit T&T tomorrow to get a brisket - thanks a lot for the tip! Or should I start with a Pork Shoulder?

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Fec_Garage
Thanks Steve I'm going to take your advice. I can tell my dog has already been planning how he's going to steal BBQ on overnight smokes.

Also was wondering where you got the cap for your fec vent. Looks like it's a perfect fit for you. My backyard is a greenbelt with lots of critters.

Cheers.
That cap came with mine so I cant tell you but I'd just use chicken wire or something to do the trick and just leave it on all the time. Ive finally managed to hook up a 5 inch exhaust stack which keeps the smoke out of my bbq shack while entertaining. FYI Im throwing ribs and salmon on mine this afternoon.Just picked up a bunch of rubs and injections I ordered from the US. I have to try them out. Let it snow today. I dont care!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.