Skip to main content

Got my new thermostat, and we're smokin'. Big Grin

On our second pork project, and it seems that it plateaus around 160 or so, and takes a long time to reach a temp of 185 or so. Cook temp is set to 225. My target is to hit 205, per SmokinOkie's advice for pulled pork. On a smaller 5 lb. shank, we cranked it up to 250, thinking we were close, and ended up drying it out a bit more than desired, and still only hit 190. Current butt is a 10 pounder, and at 16 hours at 225, the internal temp is 185. Is it particularly hard to exceed this internal temp for the 008? Probe seems to be reasonably accurate, and moving it to a new spot is not yielding different results.

Cooking on the middle rack setting, for what that's worth.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I smoke 4 to 8 pork butts every week. I smoke with a SM040 and a SM160. I try to keep them in the 8 to 9 pound range. I'm always planning on a 15 to 16 hour smoke. So your 10 pounder is maybe a little slow but not bad. Do you have any source to check inside temp of your smoker. My 40 holds true to the temp setting within 3 or 4 deg. The 160 on the other hand will run lower then what temp it's set at. So I smoke at 235 in the 160. I smoke pork butts to 195 and FTC for 2 to 3 hours.
S & H, I dangled the thermometer probe in the air to check the replacement thermostat that I just installed. At 250, it ramped all the way up to 297, and went down to 225 or so. I read somewhere else that a new 'stat my take a while to settle down, so I wasn't super concerned. Maybe I need to check again. Should I wrap the thermostat probe in foil?
I use a maverick with a double prob. One for meat and one for smoker temp. Really handy because the size of your load will determine how your smoker will run. If you can monitor the meat and smoker temp you'll find you can control your cookin times better. You'll learn more about how your smoker runs with different loads. I know that if I fill my Sm160 with pork butts at 225 and check it at say the 6 hour mark the smoker will show internal temp at 225 but the maverick will show 215. I've learned to trust the maverick.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.