Skip to main content

Hi all,

I've been following this forum for a while now,checking all information I could find on all the pellet grills. starting to know the community a little. I have never used or seen a pellet grill before. But I do know I wanna cook with wood. I've been grilling with a WoodFlame for about 13 years, it works on hardwood only and I love the flavor so much that I wanna be a PelletHead to go low and slow. I'm about to pull the trigger but before I do, I'd like to here what you guy's and gal's have to say about the PG 500 .. the good, the bad and the ugly.
I've noticed that when some ask for pit suggestions, Mak, Memphis and yoder come up more than the PG 500 does.
I love the idea of top down smoking and grilling in the same unit, but is the temperature easy enough to adjust(HHT,LHT)?
Does the pellet controller do what its supposed to do, is it erratic or hard to work with?
Does it perform well or better than other pellet grills?

The PG 500 has a hefty price tag, so I would like to know what I'm getting in too before I get in.

I thank you for all your inputs.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

MeatyBytes,

I don't have a PG500, but do have a PG1000. They share the same controllers and both have the 4 cooking zones. The LHT and HHT settings can be somewhat confusing when reading about their use, but once you get hands on you will really appreciate the flexibility and ease of use. I too come from a wood/charcoal burner past. The flavor profile from a pellet burner will not have the heavy smoke taste, but a subtle smoke that I find to be much better. I researched the Mak, Memphis and Yoder brands prior to purchasing my CS. None of the others had the features that the PG500/1000 could offer IMHO. The Cookshack Fast Eddy grills will allow you to direct grill up to 600* +, smoke low and slow, and all the way down to cold smoking cheese and fish. Also remember, Cookshack has a 30 day no questions asked return option.

BD
MeatyBytes,

I have had my PG 500 since July. It is used in comps, which is the main reason we purchased it, and several times a week as a grill/smoker on the deck at home. We have put around 300 lbs of pellets through it. The only thing we have not done is cold smoke. We have done everything else, baking (the little woman loves it!) grilling and smoking. We grilled burgers and dogs for about 30 people, so don't believe it is too small, it's not.
Search for Dr Nordy's post on the LLT and HHT and study it and play with it. It performs exactly as it is supposed to. Also, call CS and visit with tech support and anyone else, if Stuart is in he would probably visit with you. You won't find a better bunch willing to answer and help you!

Like BD says, you have a no question 30 day return, so how can you go wrong?
Mine is #32 and we love it.

One thing about LHT and HHT settings.
I fooled around with them when I first got mine and quickly just settled in on 15/75 as a great "all-around" setting. Have not moved them since.
Now, if I want to smoke really cool (maybe below 200ish) or very hot (maybe above 450ish), I would need to tweak them. Even the 450ish figure is in zone 4 and I grill on Zone 1 at a set temp of 350-375 which yields 500-600ish for direct grilling.

I simply do not find the need to adjust them for day to day cooking.
They are not difficult to understand or use and I would not consider them a detriment to my purchase decision.
On the contrary, they ate a benefit when you need to use them

Just my opinion.

Great Cooker

TIM
^^^^^^Agree with all Tim said, I find that I use mine mostly between 225-350* on the zone 4 readings and my set points are 15-65, I find no need to change them either.

The only problem that I have encountered with my PG500 is in cool weather. Mine will build up some moisture on the inside of the pellet hopper where there are no pellets present. I have found that if I don't close my lid on the hopper tight,just let it set on the hopper with a small gap, it doesn't cause moisture problems. When I say cool weather, I mean 40ish and below.

I just love mine also!!!!
Used my fepg500 at a contest this weekend for chicken and ribs and then at home used it to char some poblanos for a dish. Used the same setting for all, just left the door open for the peppers and it kept feeding the pellets on the h setting until I got a good char.

Had mine since last November. Have cold smoked, grilled, seared and smoked on the same unit with great success.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.