Skip to main content

Will a new 008 smoker take some time to (1)"season" and (2)settle down on erratic temperatures( +/- 40 degrees from dial setting)? If so, how many smoking adventure's before temp's settle down and the box is considered fully seasoned ? I have read many post's trying to find an answer (came close a few times) but haven't been able to find the answer I've been looking for. I have completed the initial season break-in followed with a Boston butt. I have alot of patience so even if the answer is 10 adventure's, I can take it. Won't like it, but I'll still take it.

Thanks
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I am having trouble processing your post.

What is not to like?

If you record the temps every 15 minutes after the box comes up to temp, for a few hours, it will average out to whatever the thermostat is set at.

Your best bet is to not worry about the temp swings. It is only the process of the thermostat and the heating element doing their jobs. It could possibly drive you nuts.

Experiment, take good notes, RELAX, have fun!

Cool
When I got my new 055 about a year ago, I measured the temps when I did my first cook. They were +/- 45 deg. from the set temperature. Looked fine to me since I had seen the same thing on the 008 that I had before.

I haven't checked the temps since and since the product it turns out is great, I don't worry about it.
RSJ,

You will have temp swings, and not just one constant temperature. The element cycles on and off to heat the unit. So, like GLH said, if you take an average over time with 15 minute intervals, it should be close to your dial setting. There's no way with this unit and the design of the heating element to achieve a constant say 225 degree cook. You won't notice any big difference in the final product.

Just my .02

C'Nooga

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.