Skip to main content

Hellllppp....push me over the edge to BBQ heaven.
$400 + is a lot of bux for me to spend on a culinary device, hence the cry for consumer help

Cabelas looks like they will be getting an order from me for an 008.

I cant seem to find any reeal negative comments re the Cookshack smokers.

I will state a few facts re my decision to buy a Cookshack 008:
-I'll be cooking for hungry crowds up to 12 ppl.
-I live in San Francisco, space is a premium and I do have a garage to store my smoker out of
the elements.
-I crave real, smoky 'Q....ribs, brisquet, pulled pork, etc
-If I spend $200 or $500, no matter, I want a quality "tool", backed by great customer service.

If y'all have any inspirational and motivational comments/advice please speak-up.

thanks,

BicyclePhil
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

BicyclePhil
I bought my 008 last year, and for a non-cook like me to be able to put out great tasting Q with very little effort, I recomend Cookshack with out hesitation. I'm generally a lurker here on the forum, but have gleaned lots tips and clues, just from reading. I've done ribs, butts, briskets, smoked cabbage once, and perhaps my favorite is smoked deviled eggs. maybe you can tell, but I love smoke. you won't regret getting a CS. Bob
Many years ago, I pondered getting a smokette with the same thought.

My more intelligent wife said buy the next bigger model,which is usually good advice.

I liked it so well, I worked my way up through the commercial models.

It sat out in the south Fl salt storms at the beach all that time.

I've cooked in up to hurricane rain and winds with it.

I cooked for 25 folks on a regular basis.

Moved from there to the FEC s for our competition team.

The smokette paid for itself in fuel savings the first year.

After 5-6 yrs, I sent it to my boys that run cattle operations in Ky.

They haul it around to all the local counties in trucks and cook all year around,the last couple of years.

Snowstorms,wind and rain don't affect it.

Now I have a granddaughter cooking on it.

You can't wear it out.

I'd say it was worth the money. Big Grin
Welcome to the forum, BicyclePhil.

My 008 Smokette is just so handy and convenient, sometimes I cook in it without wood to keep from heating up the house with the oven. Beans, tators, veggies, etc. Your imagination is the only limit with this little workhorse, except the 250*F limit, of course. You can even do 6 racks of ribs in it. Plenty for 12 people.

Don't forget the cart/stand, cover, ribhooks, chili grill, seafood grill, jerky rods, etc. I can't remember if the extra rack position thingy is still an option. If so, it is very handy to have also.
Phil
Another thing to consider is the $$$ factor. Prior to my "conversion" I used a Brinkmann offset. $150 at Lowes. Added mods for around $50 in materials and some free labor (me) to make it functional for decent temperature hold ability. Each time I did ribs in it, used around half a bag of lump and a pound or so of wood chunks. For butts, whole bag of charcoal, couple pounds of wood. Those costs add up quickly. Figure for a 10-12 hour smoke you've spent around $10 in wood and charcoal.

Contrast that to the 008/009. Couple ounces of wood plus electricity. Even though you're in the land of really expensive electrical service, you can figure on using half a kilowatt-hour every hour of use. Which would be around maybe 10 cents per hour for the electricity.

The smoker will pay for itself quickly, is easy to use, this forum is extraordinary for help, Cookshack's customer service can't be beat, makes for an easy decision.

Good luck, and welcome
Phil,
Trust these endorsements...they speak the truth.

My wife was less than pleased when my Smokette arrived at my door some 3 years ago, especially when she then found out what I paid for it. I got that "are you going through a mid-life crisis?" look.

Well, my first smoke was a batch of pork ribs. We were almost fighting over the ribs, and she then looked at me, smiled, and said..."it's worth the money" She couldn't get over how easy it was to make BBQ, compared to my Brinkman water smoker.

She realized that not only does she get great BBQ, but she doesn't have to cook. What a deal Smiler

You won't ever regret buying a Cookshack...
Hi Phil...

Yep, I'll add my endorsement too. I'll also admit that I'm still trying to perfect my ribs...they're not quite where I want them but that will come. Butts are a no-brainer, as are briskets. Smoky, moist, tender...melt in your mouth.

I like my chickens too...whole birds, cut in half, dry rub, maximum temp (on a 008) three hours and don't look. They'll be perfect and the juice will just gush out when you pull them apart.

You can't go wrong. Unless you're handy in the shop, get the stand too, keeps everything at eye level.

Turkeys, rib roasts, leg of lamb...you'll be the hit of the neighborhood.

arkansasQer

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.