Skip to main content

Couple questions for someone who has one of these models. I have never smoked in a electric smoker. What will the difference be that I will like and what will I dislike when comparing these to a wood / charcoal fired smokers? I assume it will be less time consuming. But will I notice a taste difference? Also the models SM009 and the SM025 there is a 161 dollar difference in pricing is the extra $ worth it?
Maybe someone out there has used both electric and charcoal and can convince me that I will love the change to electric.. Appreciate any inputs.. thanks
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I am not an expert. However, I will say this buy the biggest model you can afford. Basically friends and neighbors will want your food. One of my friends co-workers is requesting smoked almonds monthly. I have never been to my friends work. I don’t know the guy who wants the almond. My friends do not know I have an electric smoker. Only if they ask about the process do I tell them how I did it. I have done Almonds, ABTs, butt, brisket, ribs, lamb, chicken, and sausage no complaints. I have only been asked once where is the smoke ring in two years. The guy who asked me about the smoke ring asked me the next month if I would smoke butt and ribs for a fundraiser he was setting up.

According to cookshack.com

SM025
Food Capacity 20 - 25 lbs. total capacity
Electrical 7 amps, 120v Single Phase, 750w heating element
Shelves 2 Nickel-Plated Grills, 14"x18"
Construction All stainless steel
Temperature Range 140 to 300ºF
Warranty 2-Year Limited
Unit Weight 93 lbs shipping weight
Dimensions 20.5”W x19.5” D x31.75” H
Insulation 850ºF Spin-Glas®

SM009
Food Capacity 20 - 25 lbs. total capacity
Electrical 4.2 amps, 120v Single Phase, 500w heating element
Shelves 3 Nickel-Plated Grills, 14"x14"
Construction All stainless steel
Max Temp 250ºF
Warranty 2-Year Limited
Unit Weight 88 lbs shipping weight
Dimensions 16.5" W x 19" D x 24.75" H
Insulation 850ºF Spinglass

If my choices are SM025 or SM009 I would get the SM025.

Heat element - The SM025 goes to 300 degrees (SM009/250 degrees). The extra 50 degrees is nice to have for chicken. I found that I have to finish my chicken (skin-on) on a BBQ/grill. – (SM025 wins in this category FOR me)

Food capacity - According to cookshack.com both smokers do 20 - 25 lbs. total capacity. However, according to cookshack.com the SM25 has a bigger grill but two shelves vs SM009 which has 3 smaller shelves. (a tie in this category FOR me)

Display/read out – Look at the picture on cookshack.com of each model. The SM025 has a digital display and fancy buttons to set the temp. The SM009 has a rotary dial. It makes no difference to me. Both ways turn the thing on one just looks more modern. (a tie in this category FOR me)

I got the SM009 about 2 years ago as a gift from a group of friends. The only thing I regret was not returning it to cookshack and calling cookshack to pay extra to get an AQ instead.

El
Can you be a bit more specific by "charcoal" smoker? Ceramic ie BGE? Offset?

In any case, Cookshack electric smokers offer many advantages, the main being a "set it and forget it" approach to smoking. Next is flexibility via different varieties of wood flavors such as apple, cherry, hickory or mesquite. Next is the iron clad Cookshack money back guarantee and customer service. The forum is loaded with words of praise in both these regards.

The extra cost of the 025 is well worth it. The rack sizes allow for full racks of ribs and whole packer briskets. You also get the electric temp probe with the 025.

99.9% of Cookshack customers are very happy people who LOVE their' smokers and the fantastic food they churn out time after time.
The HARDEST thing to do is try to compare smokers if you haven't used them. It's tough. What's also tough is to, like Max asked, what you're cooking on now AND to know how your smoke is.

Don't get me wrong, you need to find the flavors you like, but a lot of people tend to oversmoke their food because they soak the wood in water (bad idea) and they don't have clean burning fuel.

Keep asking, some great comments above and we'll help you.

One thing to remember, beside CS have exceptional Customer Service (read the forum) they also have a money back guarantee.

Keep researching, we're help to help you decide. CS or not.

Russ
You didn't mention what wood/charcoal smoker you had but I can compare with the typical 'barrel' smoker like the Brinkman...

1) Electric will give you constant heat.
2) No worries about charcoal ashes falling on your wooden deck. (yes, happened to me)
3) No need for water pans. Very moist environment.
4) Uses very little wood, but you can vary the wood amount for the smoke level you want.
5) Insulated so you can smoke in minus degrees. (I used to wrap my barrel in fiberglas... a real pain)
6) No worries of the fire going out and adding more wood/charcoal.
7) Better built. Will last a lifetime and then some.
8) Better access to the food shelves. Used to have to tear entire smoker down (remove food) to add charcoal.
9) Less smoke flow to the outside. (important if you are in an apartment or in close quarters.

Oh, did I mention how easy it is to use???

If you are thinking between the 009 and the 025, consider that the 009 has much more height in the cooking chamber. Something that can be important for hanging things like jerky. The 009 plus a good meat probe thermometer should be equivalent to the 025 except the 009 has more height, but slightly smaller racks.
I am a new user of the SM025. I had similiar questions before I bought. I was using an offset smoker for about a year. Using moisture pans, and burning through the wood like it was free. I have smoked in my SM025 at least 15 times since I got it in January. I have only used 3-5oz of wood each time. Just under 5pds of wood. I have enjoyed the flavor of the meat more then enjoying the flavor of the wood in my offset. I saved a few weeks longer to get the SM025 and now regret not saving just a bit longer for the Amerique.
I smoked on cheap charcoal, gas, and electric smokers for years before buying a 009. There is no comparison. The 009 is cheaper and easier to operate and it uses very little wood. The hardest part about stepping up to a 009 is not opening the door during the smoke. After 7 years using the 009 I bought a 066. It has more capacity and a temp probe. The temp probe will kick the cock temp down to 140⁰ if I’m not around when the meat is done. Before I bought the 066 I used the 009 roughly once a month or on special occasions, rarely in the winter. The 066 is so easy and such a pleasure to use I have used it almost weekly for the last year. I was keeping the 009 at my cabin for “get away smokes” till a couple months ago when someone offered me what I had paid for it. I sold it, but I’ve been whining ever since. You will be happy with the 009 or the 025, but I’ll bet within a year you’ll be wanting a 066. I don’t know what they call that when it’s about smokers, but if it was a boat it would be called twofootidis (always wanting a bigger boat)Just like Padrefan98 said. We all have it. It's born in
WOW !!!! did not expect this kind of response... Thanks to everyone I appreciate it very much. The SM025 sounds like my best bet the extra dollars you pay is worth it.
I have a brink-man side type smoker that I have using for years. Time to update and have been looking at the electric type smokers.
I'll be buying me a CS smoker soon after I find out what uncle sam needs me to pay in on my income tax.. Ouch !
Thanks again for all the info !
Still cannot pull the trigger buying a smoker yet! Everyone basically has said that I will like the electric smoker and what it offers.
Anybody have any thoughts on a pellet smoker vs the electric ones?
I have been all over the internet reading and looking at the differences, but the light hasn't went off in my HARD head yet Smiler so anyone out there with more comments please post them.. thanks HS
Hog,

ONE thing to remember, CS has a money back guarantee. many companies don't.

Pull the trigger, cook a BUNCH on it and if you don't like it get a refund.

It's a tough decision because there is NO perfect answer. Smoke and taste are just so subjective and up to you.

If you can find someone in your area using one, you could taste the food, but it's usually hard to find someone.
Last edited by Former Member
Sure wished someone was close by SmokinOkie with a CS, however I do value everyones word on here so I believe that they are great smokers and that I'd be happy. Old habits are hard to break once I get over the fear of electric version I will be fine.
At some point I would like to maybe try some local competition bar bq that comes around our area once a year But I believe they don't allow electric cookers in the comp. And I bet one could get easily spoiled to the SM025. So to compete need to have two types.
Nothings ever easy I guess Smiler
Hello Forum Members
I'm in the process of buying my first Cookshack. I have spent countless hours pouring over all this great info however I'm wondering now if I should reconsider getting the Elite 025 vs the 009 after reading about all all the probe and digital problems . The 025 is also quite a bit more expensive. Maybe simpler is better as far as reliability and the 025 with digital & meat probe isn't worth it. Should I re-think the 009 ? Comments & advice woud be greatly appreciated... Thanks!
Welcome to the forum mdk.

Yes there have been a FEW folks who've experienced issues with probes and or control boards. My 045 was shipped with a faulty board that was immediately replaced with no hassle. Cookshack received a shipment of faulty boards beyond their control. The problem has since been resolved by the supplier.

I wouldn't let that deter you as you're getting a 30 money back guarantee and solid 2 year warranty, whichever smoker you choose.

The hold/probe feature of the 025 allows for (nearly) fool proof smoking of briskets, pork butts and other large meats that require overnight or all day cooking. The other benefit are the larger racks (14x18 vs 14x14) This allows for full size pork ribs and briskets.

Don't get me wrong, I owned a 009 for 10 years (problem free) and for the reasons above, bought the 045. Both are great units and will produce excellent BBQ. The 025 will just give you more flexibility for penny @ day.
you won't go wrong with either the 025 or the 009. The grill size of the 009 is smaller as 14"x14" compared to the other models that are 14"x18". The built-in meat probe is nice to control the cook but supplementing with separate probe can work well also. Unless CS has changed something on the controls the only model with a hold function is the 066.
Last edited by tnq
Thanks Max & TN. That definitely helps as far as relieving my concern about the probe/control panel and I do like the idea about the larger racks. I am in the process of returning a chinese knockoff that had huge temp swings..as much as 70-80 degrees(set at 200 but was actually 271 degrees and don't want to have buyers remorse "again" I bought the maverick temp probe because of the forum (whew" thanks members! and if it wasn't for that I would not have known I had the problem. "
Thanks Pags.. I did notice the 300* vs 250* in the two models.Is that important for ribs as well? as this is my primary reason for cookshack smoker.. What is your cooking technique for ribs? Also I was reading amazin ribs website this morning he is deadset against electric smokers because of taste ..any validity to that? as he obviously greatly prefers the taste of pellet grills or gas propane.Forum members who own both FEC seem to prefer their pellet grills now
I've been cooking ribs at 250* but will probably go to 275* based on experience from some fine cooks on this forum.

I've also been cooking ribs for some 40 years on grills and water smokers, and the best I've done has been the past 2+ years since getting my SM025. Some that have both can attest to pellets vs electric. The pellet cooker will cost you more as will the usage due to fuel supply.

Pellet vs electric is one thing. But I don't get the propane over electric, which are simply heat sources. Now you've got the guy at Amazing Ribs and dozens here with their love of Cookshacks. You decide.
Last edited by pags

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.