Skip to main content

I own a fishing lodge in Ketchikan Alaska and want to purchase a smoker for our guests to smoke their fish in (plus I want to smoke meats too). This thing could potentialy get used 7 days a week all summer long (June-Sept).

My question is can the residential unit handle this or should I be looking at a commercial unit?

There is a huge price diff - about $2,000. What warrents the additional $$ for the same size smoker?

Is it safer to let guest operate one vs. the other?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I believe the more costly smoker has IQ Controller.
I guess my biggest question to ask yourslef is how much meat do you want to smoke at one time?
I personally own an 08 and a 150. I like the 150 because of the larger racks. 18 X 18 inch square racks.
I believe if I were you....Not sure if this is possible from Alaska, call the toll free number to Cookshack, and ask for John Shiflett. He is in charge of sales and speak with him or one of his assistants.
P.S. Did you check out the West Coast Store.
Here is there link http://www.thewestcoaststore.com . They seem to have the best prices FWIW.
Good Luck and let us know how you make out.

Yes they are very safe for guest to use. Just make sure to power down, wait 10 minutes, open door, and dont touch the wood box or the deflector. There pretty hot.

Mike
I looked at the 150 & 160 but I've only noticed them in the commercial models. I could buy (4) 50's for the price of one of those and our guests could each have their own smoker to use. Or can you get a residential 150 without the IQ3 controller. They seem to pretty proud of those controllers for and extra $2,000.

Thanks for the help.
Jeff,

I am not sure whether the 55 is NSF and UL approved while the 76 is. I would strongly suggest you call John Shiflet on Monday and ask him for specific differences on the two models.

The bottom line is they are both excellent machines. And the IQ3 controller can be very important to a commercial application where the hold cycle is very important to the cooking process.

John

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.