Skip to main content

Hi everyone..I am cooking a couple of pork rib roast tomorrow..total weight about 13.5lbs.last week I cooked up several more. The smokey flavour was great but there was hardly any smoke ring. I cooked them low and slow..248degrees for 8.5hrs. They really did turn out as good as I could expect...no complaints from my customers.But, I would like to see a more pronounced smoke ring if possible. I had read last week in the open forum that one could add a piece of charcoal to enhance the smoke ring. As you know the FEC 100 is pellet fed..is it possible to safely add a piece or two to the process or is this not something I should try?? If it is safe ..when should I add the charcoal and how many is the max?? I was thinking of two pieces max..what do you think..Rob
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The charcoal might work in the electrics where it can smolder, but with the flame in the pot of the FEs, I don't think it would work. Try putting cold meat in a cold smoker and running it at 140˚-180˚ for about four hours or so before you kick up the temp.

Makes for a longer cook, but if you're worried about smoke ring, it might help. All I worry about is smoke flavor.
Yes,there are lots of tricks out there to distract us,but the question might be are any of them really worth it?

Then you might have to go explain what that funny color is around the meat,and nice little old ladies asking if it is "raw".

Like the others say,I 've cooked pretty broad areas of the country,and judged even more,and it is never a consideration.

I take that back.

When you are vending and the ladies throw the chicken away ,for being raw-if you don't put signs on the table to explain the redness and run around reassuring them. Eeker

Just a thought.
I was at a practice cook-off this spring. There were 80 turn-ins and only about 8 judges. You are not suppose to judge up or down for the smoke ring, but when we gave our scores verbally to each team, (this was a learning experiment for a lot of the new teams) half the judges took the smoke ring into consideration when making their decision on the points to give.
Personally, I never explain my cooking to anyone who thinks the meat is underdone. They don't deserve to eat good bbq. Matter of fact, I haven't heard a complaint about this for years, since the TV shows explain the red color of meat is from being cooked over wood.
Hi everyone..thank-you all for your help.I cooked up my rib roast and they turned out great. I lowered the temp to 244 degrees and increased the cook time by 1hr.The smoke ring looked great and the roast was even more tender..I did not even think that that was evan possible...On another topic I have been having problems with my igniter again. This is the second one that has mal functioned. CS is aware and is sending me a new fire box with a built in igniter.I have only had my FEC100 since March..has anyone else out there in BBQ land had any simular issues??Rob
quote:
Originally posted by Nova Scotia Rob:
...On another topic I have been having problems with my igniter again. This is the second one that has mal functioned. CS is aware and is sending me a new fire box with a built in igniter.I have only had my FEC100 since March..has anyone else out there in BBQ land had any simular issues??Rob

Probably going to get lost in a thread on SR.

NO I don't think it's normal. Those ignitors are pretty finicky and sometimes they just go bad. But when CS just sends you a new one and doesn't charge, that's the best part.
quote:
Originally posted by Nova Scotia Rob:
Hi everyone..thank-you all for your help.I cooked up my rib roast and they turned out great. I lowered the temp to 244 degrees and increased the cook time by 1hr.The smoke ring looked great and the roast was even more tender..I did not even think that that was evan possible...On another topic I have been having problems with my igniter again. This is the second one that has mal functioned. CS is aware and is sending me a new fire box with a built in igniter.I have only had my FEC100 since March..has anyone else out there in BBQ land had any simular issues??Rob

I have not had to replace an ignitor on my four year old pre-ramp FEC or my year old IQ4 FEC. I did have to replace the cook chamber temp probe on my IQ4 when I first got it but no problems since.
quote:
Originally posted by Fast Freddie/Love Shack BBQ:
Sometimes I add a chunk of wood with bark on it, right into the fire-pot. Then I put split logs on top of the heat deflector and let them smolder. Also put cold meat in a cold pit and set it on smoke. You will notice the difference.

just askin, are you joking about the split logs?
quote:
Originally posted by michaelkc:
quote:
Originally posted by Fast Freddie/Love Shack BBQ:
Sometimes I add a chunk of wood with bark on it, right into the fire-pot. Then I put split logs on top of the heat deflector and let them smolder. Also put cold meat in a cold pit and set it on smoke. You will notice the difference.

just askin, are you joking about the split logs?

No kidding. I do this at contests to get a better smoke ring and a little more smoke flavor. Now, I use a different controller on my FEC100, which cycles the fan on and off, holding the set temperature. I also cover the exhaust with aluminum foil and leave a hole about the size of half dollar. This holds the smoke in longer and I don't get any bad taste from this because the pellets are so pure, just more smoke flavor.
Last edited by Former Member

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.