Skip to main content

I've read the brisket 101 archives and I find I'm still confused. I see that this 101 was "under construction" but hasn't been updated since 2001. Maybe a few clarifications at this time would help me and others. Here are the parts I find confusing:

�I go for Packer cut briskets instead of untrimmed briskets. The idea here is that the fat will help the brisket cook and through the cooking process the fat helps keep the brisket moist.�
(This confuses me. It sounds like a Packer cut IS untrimmed. If so how do you go for a Packer cut INSTEAD of an untrimmed brisket?)

�The Brisket is essential in two parts. The 'Flat' has more meat, The 'Deckle' or 'Point' (different names, same part) has more fat, which you can see in this photo:�
(I see fat on the brisket in the photo, but I can�t identify the separate part you call the deckle. Also, after checking the site given to me by Greyn, below, I read: "Note that contrary to popular belief, the deckle is not the same thing as the brisket point. Rather, it's the fat and muscle that attach the brisket flat to the rib cage." Maybe this is part of the confusion. The Point is not the Deckle, but Brisket 101 says it is.)

�In this photo, you see from the side � the Flat is on top, the Deckle is on the lower left.� (It's probably just me, but I can�t see any difference in the areas you�re talking about. Looks like one, continuous, uninterrupted cut of meat in this photo. I wish someone could put some kind of dotted line graphic on the photos to explain what you mean.)

I'd like to try my first brisket, but need these things clarified a bit first. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Confusion understood.

When I get a little time later tonight, I'll look at the 101 and try to clarify for you.

The biggest problem we have with brisket is that what you buy as briskets and what I buy may not even be called the same thing. That's why Packer means something to a butcher here, but you may have to ask for an "untrimmed" brisket.

More later.

Smokin'

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.