Skip to main content

When I power up I get a beep and it flashes TT69
Press and holding the mode button displays MODE, but I cannot change the mode
Press and holding the Cook Temp button displays SET COOK TEMP
Press and holding the Cook Time button displays SET COOK TIME
Press and holding the Probe Temp button displays SET PROBE TEMP
I am able to adjust the cook temp, hold temp, cook time, and probe temp
I have it loaded with 240 LBs of PB it has been running 4 hours the display flashes the cook temp and the cook time remaining, but never the probe temp. After 4 hours running the cook temp is only 185. I’m starting to get worried.
It never shows a probe temp
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'm not familiar with the SM260 but will try to help you resolve the problem.

The flashing TT69 on start-up is normal. That tells you the CP model #

For now, let's put aside the probe/mode problem.

Try this...
turn it off for 30 seconds. Power up. Press the cook temp pad and adjust to desired temp. Press the cook time pad and set desired length of cook. Now press START. That should get you the desired heat and length of time.

I usually get into trouble when I use probe mode so I'll leave that for someone else to answer.

Good luck. Let me know if that works for you.
I won't touch that probe mode either, never used it.
BUT HEY I have a SM150 just a narrower version of your smoker. What I do with pork butts, load up with wood and my product, close the door. Turn on the smoker, wait about 10 seconds...
THEN this is complicated:
See that button there that says Pork/Brisket
I hit that and then START.
That gives you a cook temp of 225
and a Cook Time of 12 Hours. Usually it starts smoking in about 15-20 minutes.

That's what I do.
I was all fired up to buy and use a probe but my wife gave me a really swell digital thermometer that I use at the end of my cook to test for doneness and cooking temp.

I would hope my KISS approach works for you. Try it. Get these educated techie guys in here to help with that probe stuff.
Thanks Max, I was afraid the TT69 was a fault

The controller has a power back up system to prevent it from forgetting what it is doing in the event of a power failure so turning it off isn’t supposed to do anything for 10 minutes. However hitting the power off switch is the same as hitting the reset button.

I have powered down and or reset several times, but I always have the same result.

Mike, that's what it appears to be doing now, just not hot enough

I can live without the probe for now, but 4 hours and its not up to temp yet? I have a room full of church ladies giving me the eye and its starting to hurt
I remember you said you were running 240 pounds of pork butt which seemed like a lot of product to cook in a 260. So I checked the info on the 260 here

http://www.cookshack.com/store...rtSmoker-Model-SM260

You've got it at it's max capacity, I've never done that with my SM150, BUT I DID do it with my old SM008 and it did what yours did, would not come up to full temp. It had smoked the meat a bit so I pulled some of the product and cooked it in covered dutch ovens in my home oven, the smoker proceeded to run at the normal temp once it wasn't so packed.

I hope you get some help, it's a real pip that folks do big jobs over the weekend when Cookshack tech staff is off and you need help. Good Luck.
I have run my SM066 at capacity and had problems getting it up to temp. I called Cookshack and the first thing they asked was do you have it on a drop cord which I did. They told me to shorten the drop cord and use a heavier one and the AmeriQue should come up to temp in 45 minutes or less. They were spot on.

I have the SM260 on a 4 ft No. 6 drop cord, that should be heavy and short enough
This may or may not help but I have loaded my 160 to the max many times with pork butts. Started at 6pm wanting to take them out at 8am. 10pm rolls around and the smoker is not to temp, so,,, turn up the heat only to wake at 3am because that's what I do to find that it made it to the higher temp and the butts are ready to take out.

This is my point. I've learned to leave it alone, set at 225 like I always do. Wake up at 3 am like I always do to find that the smoker has come to temp and the butts will be ready around 7.

I think when we max the larger smokers out they just take a little longer to come to temp.
I do not have a 260. I DO HAVE AN 066, AND A 160. I have had the same issue. It is too large of a very moist load of meat. As you probobly know high humidity air will not heat up as much as dry air. These smokers are such a moist environment they hold the heat and moisture as well. I backed off my loads of butts and turkeys to smaller quantity. You will need to do more loads, but will cook much quicker.
Just my opinion, and experience.
Good Luck
Gary I.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.