Skip to main content

Hi Everyone..I had a problem this past week with temp changes. I smoked a slap of salmon it weighed about 2.3lbs. This was my first attempt at salmon. I set the temp at 230 degrees for 1.5hrs. The cook started off just fine.but when I went to check on it after about 45mins the temp gauge read 246degrees. Why would this happen?? I was not sure what to do so I opened the door to let out some heat. the temp dropped to 236 very quickly. I did not change anything else up but I did keep a close eye on it.The temp did drop to 230 but it took a lot longer than I would have liked. While on hold which was set for 14o degrees it was again up to about 180. I did another two slabs of salmon later on in the week. Total weight was 4.3lbs. I set it at 230 degrees for a cook time of 2hrs, and a hold temp of 140. I was late getting back and it was on hold for 55mins. The temp read 186 degrees instead of 140..needless to say the salmon was waaay over cooked an dryed out..Any sugestions??
Original Post
When you use a hold for after your cooking and especially those light delicate cuts as fish, you need to know how long it will be befre you get it out of the cooker when setting the unit for cooking. The interior of the oven stays hot for guite awhile after the cook turns down. Thats just the nature of insulated metal. It will take some experiance to get it where you want it. Next time shorten the cooking up if you plan on holding. Give Bill a call on the temp varianvce while cooking. 800-423-0698

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.