Skip to main content

Hello everyone,

My name is Rick. I am new here. I just got a SM009 for my birthday and I decided to break it in by smoking a briskett flat. I had a remote thermometer measuring the temps in the meat and the smoker. I set the dial to 225 and let it go. It seems I was having trouble all day maintaining temperature. It would drop down below 200 or go about 240-250. At one point I even set it at 250 and it was still at around 200 for a while and then would shoot up as high as 265 or so. I did not use an extension cord. It was a little windy but nothing crazy. Outside temperature was from mid 50's to mid 60's.

The briskett turned out pretty good -- just a little dry. It took way too long though. 8 or 9 hours for a 3 1/2 pound flat. That doesnt seem right.

Any suggestions about the temperature variations?

Thanks
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi drrick,

I am not one of the old salts around here but since no one has replied I thought I would. If you are doing the break in smoke with a 3 1/2 lb. brisket, I believe the temp swings you experienced are very normal. It takes a while to get the smoker seasoned and the more meat in the load contributes to more even temp swings. I experienced the same concern when I first started using the CS 008. Called Cookshack and they gave me a test pattern to do over about 3 or 4 hours. The temp swing was right on the acceptable level. I think you will get advise from others to not measure the smoker temp. unless you are getting real irratic results. This seems to be one of the biggest concerns of new users. Each piece of meat will vary in cook times to reach temp. I don't believe 8 hrs is too much for some at 3 1/2 lbs.

I'm sure you will get some pro advise soon but Welcome to the forum. Many questions you will have can be found easily by doing a search. Almost any question that can be ask, has been. Most people on this forum are more than willing to help you.

Good Luck
Jerry
temp swings of +/- 25* is normal. This unit works on a thermostatically controlled heating element. When you raise the temp on the dial, you don't increase the current to the element, it simply cycles the element on. Once it exceeds the desired temp, the element shuts off...similar to your home's AC.

My advice is to ignore the internal temp of the smoker...just monitor your meats.

I no longer attempt flats on their own. They are usually trimmed too lean to get a good result. If you can, find a packer trimmed, whole brisket.
When will the hardheads learn? Razzer

LOL... Just kiddin'.

Did you first season with smoke only and then the pork seasoning afterwards?

Did you use a thermometer probe and monitor?

How many times did you open the door and look at it?

Low and slow is how you cook brisket and most BBQ. Low and SLOW. Anything up to 300* I would consider low and slow.

9 hours is not too long for a brisket, regardless of weight.

You need to be cooking by temp, not time.

I hope this helps.

Cool
When I got my 055 a year ago (moved up from an 008) I too did a check of the internal temps during my first cook. I set the temp for 225 and found that the temp of the cooker would swing from 180 up to 270. Yep, +/- 45 degrees exactly. And I haven't bothered checking them since. Still turns out a good product and I *assume* that the swings have not lessened, but it matters not.
Hello all,

Thanks for the advice. I am glad to know the temperature swings are normal.

BTW,
Yes I seasoned first with a 4 or 5 hours wood only smoke.
I used a thermometer -- A maverick et-73.
I only opened the door to foil. I was really good at not peeking. I just went out to smell-- and boy did it smell good

and...
Yes I am new to this that is why I am here to learn from those with more experience than me.
This was only my second briskett ever and my first run on my new smoker -- which I am so psyched about getting -- Thanks for all the help and I am looking forward to learning a lot here.

Thanks again,
Rick
My 009 had big temperature swings in the beginning but now they are smaller. I set my unit to 220 F and let it cook nice and slow. Make sure you load your meat from the top shelf and work your way down. On brisket, make sure you have a nice fat cap and put the fat side up. I place a jar of apple juice next to the fire box (touching it) for the moisture. For overnight smokes, I set the unit to 210 and spray the meat with apple juice in the morning. Good luck.
This is just a guess as I am no expert but I think there has to be temp swings. The Cookshack is so efficient that once the smoker is at the set temp if the electric element only turned on long enough to just maintain that temperature setting I don't think it would be on long enough to keep the wood smoking. I think the element stays off long enough for the internal temp to drop so it can come on long enough to get the wood hot enough to smoke but then turn off before the internal temp gets too hot. I would not worry about it because I think it may need to be that way to smoke correctly.
drrick -- Just my opinion here but if you got a even near edible on that first smoke you did well. Three & a half pounds is a small brisket and brisket is a tough (pun intended) puppy to cook. Tyr to stay with 5+#. You'll have more fat marbled thru it.

I smoked a 5.15 #er a couple of days ago. After triming the fat-cap down to 1/8 inch it was so thin I knew it was going to be dry.

After foiling and adding a cup of stock & home made sauce and sitting for about three hrs in a cooler everything came out fairly well.

Do try to stay away from the tiny briskets. Just my opinion! Wink
I really like cooking large briskets, like over ten pounds. 14 pounds is better.

If you work it right, you can fit two ten pounders into a smokette, and they will come out fine, in about 20-22 hours, maybe 24 hours.

I used to measure the temps, now I just go by time. A brisket never spends less than 10 hours in my cooker, but I never try to cook small briskets, either.

For small cuts, time is a liability, for large cuts, time is an asset. A rack or pork ribs never escapes my cooker until six hours have passed.

I guess you get a feel for it after a while.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.