Skip to main content

Hey All,
Our team, Smoke n' Sourmash took 2nd in brisket last weekend in Shannon IL!!!! There were 59 teams that showed. In ribs, sausage, chicken & overall we were in the low to mid 20's place. Don't ask what we did in pork....it was totally my fault.

It was our first competition for us and the FE100. The FE100 performed GREAT. We did 2 full briskets, 3 butts (2 were butterflied), 3 slabs and 15 thighs and sausages.

I got a good deep cell Marine/RV battery at Sam's and had a 400watt inverter sitting around from Farm & Fleet. We fired up the FE around 8:00PM Friday nite & shut her down Saturday around 1:30PM. I also used an electric carving knife on a butt and the briskets while the FE was running near the end.

If any of you are thinking of competing, I highly, no, HIGHLY recommend DR. BBQ's real deal competition cooking class. I know I wouldn't have placed in brisket and I'm pretty sure I couldn't have completed all of the catagories on time and presented them decently.

Jeff
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

They were full packers. Dry rub on outside and also injected per Ray's class. one thing I did learn is not to trust Polders. Next time I will set the alarm to 20Deg. below what I want to finish at and use my instant read for the final 10-20 deg. one flat was overcooked and useless for slicing. I presented the slices along with chunks of the point tossed with BBQ sauce.

Jeff
Jeff,

I did find some thermometers that I would trust better than an instant read. Here they are.

Throw your polder types away.

http://www.extech.com/instrument/products/alpha/EA10_15ThermoCouple.html

My probes model THS-113-177

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/probe/tc_penetration.html

I use a stainless braided K-Type smokehouse probe with the extech unit. Dual Inputs on one unit. These are calibrated for labratories and testing situations and not much more expensive than a couple of polders.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.