Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

If you haven't already purchased the shoulder, get a butt instead. Get the one with the most visible fat. After the smoke season run, put the seasoned butt in with 4 oz. wood, foil the top of the woodbox and the floor of the smoker, poke a drain hole, place a drippan, stick a thermometer probe into the meatiest area of the butt, close the door, turn it on 200*. Let it go until it seems to be stuck between 150-170*, then turn it up to 250* until the meat temp reads 195-205*. If you already have the shoulder, don't worry, just take it to around 190*, wrap it in foil, let rest out of the smoker for an hour and see how it pulls. You might want to start the cook around dark-thirty or bedtime so it finishes the next day and might even can allow to rest in foil, towels, and in a cooler until supper.

Sounds like alot to swallow, but really simple.

Have fun, experiment, take good notes!

GOOD LUCK!

Cool
Sweet!!

Thanks GLH. That is what I specifically needed to know. Also I thought the butt was the same as a picnic but doing a search for pork but differneces I see a link to some excellent pics. Looks like the butt would be more tender. And of course I'd be somkin' HIGHer on the HOG. HA!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.