Skip to main content

I am looking to purchase a CS smokette 008 but I am not sure if it is big enough to smoke a 3lb summer sausage? Does anyone have any experience with this? Is the smokette 008 too small; is the model 50 a better fit for smoking summer sausages?

Obviously I will be cooking more than summer sausage; however, I will smoke many sausages per year and so if the 008 is too small I would like to know before I purchase one.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I've done a couple of 3lb summer sausages in mine... I just laid them diagonally on the shelves... Came out fine...

I don't know if an 008 is tall enough to hang several at a time but I believe they are... If I were you I would call Hi Mountain Jerky Co and ask them. They are very familiar w/both 3lb sausages and the CS 008...
You can't suspend 20"- 24" sticks in the 008. For these the 050 would be better suited.
I do summer sausage all the time in my 008, but I stick to 8"- 10" chubs suspended from the highest rack setting. I hang them from the jerky rods sold separately. This keeps them up and away from the element enough for even cooking/ smoking.
Just my experience.
Thank you for the advice. I was beginning to think I wasn't going to get any responses.

Geiyser, if you had to do it all over again, would you spend the couple extra dollars for the 50 so that you can hand the full 3ob sausage or would you get the more economical 008? The 008 is pretty expensive for me, but I would consider buying the 50 if it was really worth it.

Brently - thank you for your advice. I will look them up online to get the number.
Yes Kosy, I would probably shoot for the 50, but hind sight is 20/20, and I love my 008. Its been perfect for everything I've needed it for thus far except the 3 pounders.

But on the bright side the 1 1/2 pounders are great size for gift baskets, single folks, and the like.

A person is more likely to eat up a 10" chub before there is any chance of drying to happen in the frige, as opposed to a large stick that when half eaten gets shoved in the frige and forgot about for a week or two. It just depends I guess on the amount of people chomping on it.

Whichever you choose kosy, you will love your CookShack. When not making sausage it will smoke some excellent swine and bovine for you!
Well, I debated and debated about which to get and finally decided on the larger size and have not regretted it at all. There are just 2 of us and I was afraid that it would be too big but I have done 1 chicken at a time and I have done full loads of fish and everything turns out equally fantastic. So my recommendation would be that if you can go for the larger do it.

rho

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.