Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hep me, Hep me!!!

Just ordered one of those seafood grills for our CS. Woulda ordered two, but they cost so darn much we'd have run out of cash before we could buy any shrimp. Gotta figure out how to cook the little scavengers before Terri gets that grill to St. Louis.

Also ordered some stainless steel rods to hang the sausages next time. No more of those cut wood dowel rods for us. No more exposure to main toe poisoning. Nosireebob. Not for us. We're driving in the fast lane now cuz a fool and his money are soon parted.

Hey seriously, at under five bucks per, they're a steal. Buy some. Stuart needs the cash to front our upcoming get-together in Watchamacallit, Oklahoma. Cool

Regards, Mike
Hey lazy (that IS your middle name).

I don't like to answer every single question (really I don't) but I hate to see any post sit out there with no response) poor Mike Wink

If you hate "work" you're gonna hate those seafood grills. Think of those grates you have in the 150, now make them really really close together AND a whole lot more...

...using them is great but their tough to clean, hope your dishwasher is big enough to hold them.

For seafood, I'm a fan of the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid). Simple seasoning, salt/pepper/garlic and usually sprinkle on some Old Bay and/or Tony Chachere's (hope you're tried this it's great).

Seafood really absorbs the smoke, so use a little hickory or other of your favorite woods. You can also try the Stuart trick from his Prime Rib post. Use some sort of Herb and throw a sprig of Rosemary or other leafy herb on the wood as it cooks.

I try to go for subtle not overpowering in my seafood. And Scallops really soak up whatever your doing.

p.s. Blazing Saddles is an alltime great, brings tears to my eye, thinking of the CS gang at a cookoff, sitting around the fire, eating beans...
quote:
I don't like to answer every single question (really I don't)

Oh sure. We'll believe that when pigs fly. Cool

quote:
If you hate "work" you're gonna hate those seafood grills. Think of those grates you have in the 150, now make them really really close together AND a whole lot more...

I'm changing my name to Double Lazy! Ok, what do you use...one of those fish or veggie thingies with the little holes in them? Can't we just soak the seafood grill overnight after using, like we do with your other grills?

quote:
...using them is great but their tough to clean, hope your dishwasher is big enough to hold them.

Our dishwasher was fine for the 50 grates, but not large enough for the 150 grates. So, we soak them overnight in the laundry room sink and wipe them off the next day. Oh joy.

quote:
Simple seasoning, salt/pepper/garlic and usually sprinkle on some Old Bay and/or Tony Chachere's (hope you're tried this it's great).

Ditto. We use Old Bay or Cavender's or s/p/g. Sometimes sprinkle a dab of parsley flakes for color. Never heard of Tony C. Supermarket available? What it be, bro?

quote:
Seafood really absorbs the smoke, so use a little hickory or other of your favorite woods.

Was thinking of straight pecan or grape vine. However, we like the idea of herbs. May buy one of those pre-packed seafood herb seasonings and put it in the wood box, too.

Question: what temp and how long for larger bay scallops and 15 per lb shrimp, peeled and deveined?

quote:
p.s. Blazing Saddles is an alltime great, brings tears to my eye, thinking of the CS gang at a cookoff, sitting around the fire, eating beans

Ohmygosh, you're not a film freak, too? We had a theater room built into our home. 10' screen, etc. We have more films on DVD than Blockbusters. Actually, may be true...well over 1200 to date. Jan's nephews and nieces visit every weekend and take home movies. Jan thinks it's for the movies. I know better. It's only because they love me. Wonder how much more they're going to love me when we put in the pool this winter? Cool

Regards, Mike
Mike,

Sorry I didn't get around to answering your question about seafood earlier, I think I'm going to cancel my vacations for the rest of my carrer... I may never find my desk!

Any way, I always tell people to steer away from mesquite for smoking. However, as far as I am concerned mesquites the wood for shrimp and scallops. It doesn't take much about 1 oz. for a pound of shrimp and scallops.

I like to smoke the shrimp with the shells on. Like Smokin' I'm a big fan of Old Bay seasoning for shrimp.

On the scallops, I don't normally use any seasoning. Just throw them in the smoker and let the smoke take care of the flavor.

One hint on the seafood grills. As soon as you get through using them get them into water to soak. Also, if you want to send them back, I would have recommended getting a couple of the Smokette seafood grills instead of the series 100 ones. You can lay the smokette ones on top of the normal rack in the 150 and save a couple of bucks.

Give me a call if you want to trade them.

Stuart
Stuart, Interesting info about mesquite with seafood. Never would have thought to try it.
And, shall keep the quantity to an oz or so.

quote:
One hint on the seafood grills. As soon as you get through using them get them into water to soak. Also, if you want to send them back, I would have recommended getting a couple of the Smokette seafood grills instead of the series 100 ones. You can lay the smokette ones on top of the normal rack in the 150 and save a couple of bucks.

Thanks for the tip on soaking. Wasn't aware there were seafood grills for the Smokette. We ordered one grill...figured on doing shrimp, scallops to serve 4-7 people and thought we might only need one surface. What would your advice be on that?

Still wish to know how long to cook shrimp and scallops...

Regards, Mike
I don't know how big of shrimps you are talking about, but I smoke prawns all the time. Smoked scallops are too rich for me, since they are so mild tasting anyway. For smoked prawns, I do it in the shell, headed and de-legged. I soak them in oil, a wee bit of lemon, lotza garlic, and a little sea salt for 30 minutes and then throw them in the smoker for "as long as it takes", tasting all the time `till they are perfect.
Mike,

Sorry I didn't give you times or temp's. I smoke scallops and shrimp together at 200 degrees for 40 minutes.

The 100 series seafood grill will work fine. It just that you can buy two smokette ones and have more cooking space for less money.

Probably by the time we shipped them back and forth it's not worth trading any way. The 100 series grill is a lot higher quality, so it will last you forever, or untill you get tired of cleaning it.

Stuart
Hey,Mike .I'd have jumped in earlier, but haven't had the chance....The "esteemed fellows" have pretty well covered it, though....Tony Chachere's is one of the older and least expensive of the Cajun seasonings.You can also get it without salt and extra hot....It should be right next to the Cavender's on the grocery shelf....Chef Paul Prudhomme's Seafood Seasoning is excellent and everywhere.....You can also make up Emeril Lagasse's Essence,as he gives the recipe everywhere Wink ...I just did the 8 to 12 prawns /lb.....I split the shell along the back and leave intact....Marinate about an hour in Italian dressing and Cajun seasoning,smallest chunk of mesquite ,cooked at 200� for 20 mins. and they still needed another 10 mins....Peel ,lick fingers ,chase with cold Abita beer from New Orleans. Big Grin
Mike, pretty much the same....Scallops overcook and oversmoke easily,since we get them shelled....We have scallop boats lining our coast and they build islands with the shells....We get pretty good scallops here,but a lot of the places sell cut Mako shark plugs as scallops and most people never know....The upside is that Mako smokes up real nice. Wink
Smoked 1 lb. of bay scallops Saturday evening. Scallops were marinated 2 hrs in mix of lime, kiwi & tangerine juice (a commercial marinade)with small amount of Chinese black pepper sauce added. Then added chopped mushrooms and sliced leeks, brushing everything lightly with grapeseed oil. Because they need frequent turning, the scallops were not practical to smoke in the Cookshack. Instead, for a light smoke,used alder chunks in a chips box on a Weber grill using indirect heat for about 10 minutes (did not begin until wood was smoking well--then reduced heat to achieve about 220 degrees.) Scallops were very moist, tender, had the sweet smokey flavor of alder, and married well with the leeks and mushrooms.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.