Skip to main content

I just saw the beverly hill billy BBQ cart! It was in Dunedin Florida. Wish I had my camera. Anyway, it was nothing more than a lawn service trailer with a aluminum frame used for a screened in room. 2/3 was screen and the other 1/3 was corregated galvinized sheet metal including the sides and roof. Has a home model BBq grill in the screen side. Didn't get a look inside but it appears to be a regular spot for it. Name on side was BBQ 2 GO! Any of you local boys ever heard of them? Cool
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

That sounds like a good way to get around! What a neat idea. I was told that we have to have the smoker inside a screen in Florida to pass state inspection. I don't know if they require screening in the rest of the area. I wish you had your camera at the time! Somebody, send us a picture of this, please.
Peggy
He was there last Wednesday but it was pouring so I didn't get out and take a pix.
I have seen a guy up on Alt 19 with a cart type arrangement also.
I also saw another Wagon type this past weekend but can't remember where I was when I saw it. Maybe by the middle of the week I will be able to retrace/remember my weekend.
Cool
Hey Bill, remembering your weekend huh? Guess it's good that it's not football season and you weren't tailgaiting for the Raider game!! Although you did preface that saying that hopefully by the middle of the week you'll remember. Gives you Monday and Tuesday to get over the weekend!! lol
Hope you are well buddy, say hi to Shirley for me.
Take care, your friend, Steve.
Hey Bill, got the photos that you sent to me also. He must be doing something right if you like it. Your ribs were pretty darn tasty if I say so myself.
How about the prices. They sure seem pretty reasonable.
Isn't it funny how often great food comes out of little "hole in the wall" type places. I can remember my Dad telling me that when I was a kid.
Steve.
Brother Steve!
Hope all is well for you and family!
I got to say this guys BB were darn good! His sause was unlike any I have had to date, spicey but not hot, sort of sweet and very watery. I liked it! He wasn't giving up the recipe though.
I agree about the hole in the wall places, best food ever comes from them as opposed to a fancy chain.
He said he has less than $5K in the trailer and if he was to do it again would make it big enough to have 2 people inside serving. Cool
Thanks Bill. This is very interesting. I was about to guess he spent no more that $4K for this, but you know how the first time costs more. Great way to test out the business, even though many would be turned off by such an operation. I'd throw a paint job on it. He even takes credit cards - WOW. One lesson I got from the pricing that most of you may already know is, in Florida you can include tax in the menu prices for a concession (mobile food vendor) business and not have to deal with change, like he is doing. Making change with coins will surely slow you down during a rush. I just confirmed this with the Florida Dept of Revenue. However, they rip you a little with their formula since it is not the exact reciprocal of the tax rate, i.e., if you are in a County with a 7% tax rate, you divide your total by 1.0751 rather than 1.07, so on a $5 purchase they take an extra 2 cents from you (a taxable amount of $4.65 rather than $4.67). Considering, you give more up to the customer anyway when you run out of change and in the time wasted making chance and counting change, it's not a bad deal.
He swipes the credit cards at the time of sale but doesn't upload them until the end of the day at home. Elec is supplied by a connection to the business behind him. That brown box in the back is his holding warmer. Looks to be a fancy cooler type.
He says he is paying the bills but not making much of a living yet.
Real nice guy, very informative, friendly and hard working. 70 plus hours a week. Cool
That intersection has 25K cars go through every week day. He is sort of buried and not that easy to get to his parking area. Seemed to be a steady amount of customers coming through while I was talking to him but it was lunch hour.
I will say that experiance tells me that one guys living is not the same as anothers. I personally would not want to work 70 plus hours a week anymore. Cool
Raider, thanks for the photos of this rig. I went up to Dunedin on Tuesday the 5th looking for this guy to sample his que. No where to be seen. Does he park his outfit at the boat marina at Edgewater drive?

Real homemade rig for sure but $9.00 for a plate with two sides is still $9.00 with less overhead.

Show some love for the small business man.
You still need a commissary (trust me, I've checked) to dump waste water, or fill up with potable water, to clean up, to store food or to cook or prepare food (the state is REAL pointed about "It is prohibited to cook, prepare, or store any food, utensils or single service items at a private home, or to perform any utensil or equipment cleaning at such a location." DBPR Form HR 5030-032, 2004 January 13, REQUIREMENTS - para 23).

Like Jack has said, if this guy got his license (and it's in the window) he did it on the cheap and the "hard way" - nothing in his rig looks to be NSF approved (not picking - but the health guys love to see that NSF seal).

I'm looking to build or buy a trailer myself so this kind of success gives me hope!
I just recently purchased a self-contained concession trailer with the 3 comp. sink, hand sink, hot water heater, etc... I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who is a health inspector for pinellas county. He told me that a new change to the regulations within the last year is that even though you are self-contained, you still have to have a commissary(He said it was for tracking down purposes more than anything). I am looking for a commissary in the New Port Richey, FL area. If anyone knows of one, please let me know. He (health inspector) said that there is a commissary in Clearwater called Mr. Dee's Commissary. No number or anything. Hope this helps.
Just a suggestion for those in Florida - you can use any certified kitchen for your commissary (assuming it meets your needs) and the county health folks inspect school cafeterias, non-profits, etc. so don't overlook churches with schools, the VFW, American Legion, other private schools, etc. - they often have under-utilized kitchens that they might rent space in - walk-ins, large sinks, possibly a dishwasher, ice machine, etc. Restaurants and catering kitchens will often rent space, too - they are inspected by the state.
quote:
Originally posted by Alan's N.C. Bar-B-Que:
[qb] I just recently purchased a self-contained concession trailer with the 3 comp. sink, hand sink, hot water heater, etc... I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who is a health inspector for pinellas county. He told me that a new change to the regulations within the last year is that even though you are self-contained, you still have to have a commissary(He said it was for tracking down purposes more than anything). I am looking for a commissary in the New Port Richey, FL area. If anyone knows of one, please let me know. He (health inspector) said that there is a commissary in Clearwater called Mr. Dee's Commissary. No number or anything. Hope this helps. [/qb]
Mr. Dee's might be Mr D's Mobile Catering
2040 Range Rd Clearwater, Clearwater, FL 33765
(727) 216-4444. www.mrdcatering.com

It's a catering truck operation - however, it's right up the street (sort of) from me so I may just have to swing by and see if they'll rent commissary space.

Stay tuned.
Use contacts to help you find a commissary. If you can get a prison, a place where they supply food to the elderly, such as meals on wheels, that is inspected regularly, you are so much better off. When we were checking out the side-of-the-road setups, we were told that you also have to be sure restrooms for your employees are available.
Peggy
"we were told that you also have to be sure restrooms for your employees are available"

I've heard conflicting things about that - though for me it's not a problem - I don't have any employees! Wink

The church school cafeteria I'm looking at is inspected annually by the county health deparment. I had a nice long chat with the inspector and her supervisor - they were supportive and I was the only person they'd ever had come in asking about concessions from a self-contained setup.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.