Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I've cooked 5 or 6 of these...The first couple I foiled at 165 or so...the next few I didn't...Haven't had one dry out yet...

I pull them betw 175 and 190... A little "beefier" tasting than a brisket...

I use just a little oak or hickory and rub w/kosher salt, garlic powder and black pepper... Makes for a fantastic sliceable or pullable roast beef...
I've tried a chuck roll and it's as easy to smoke as pork butt. Mine wasn't dry at all ... I just cooked it exactly like pork butt (didn't wrap it or anything), and because it has lots of fat in it like PB, it doesn't dry out. I took it to an internal 195* and then pulled it like PB. As Brently said, it does have a beefier taste than brisket. To me the taste is like a "smokey pot roast."

One hint is to cut it in thirds and you'll get a smokier taste because you'll have more exposed sides. These chuck roll beasts are big (mine was around 18 pounds), so unless you're feeding an army, you can just cut in thirds, cook one and freeze the others for later cooking.

One other tip is you can get them from Sam's Club, but you usually have to ask for them at the meat counter. They cut these chuck rolls into chuck roasts, but when I bought mine, a chuck roll was about $1 less per pound than the chuck roasts. That's quite a savings when you multiply that by the weight of the chuck roll, or in my case, I saved $18 over buying three chuck roasts.

Good luck ... I think you'll find that they're as easy to smoke as pork butt.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.