Skip to main content

Dry Aged - Salt Crusted – Boneless Rib Eye Roast

The beginning of 45 day dry aging. Weight 4 lb. 11 oz

“The Ugly Duckling”

Roast after 45 days of aging. 3 lb. 4 oz. 22% weight loss.

Beginning to trim the dried surfaces.

Roast after trimming, 2 lb. 6 oz. 41% loss in weight.

Bed of salt in roasting pan consisting of rock salt and Kosher salt.

Applying salt mixture. 4 cups Kosher salt, ½ cup flour, egg white from one egg and enough water to form a paste.

Further application of the salt mixture. Advise wearing latex gloves when applying salt.

Roast now ready for the preheated 200° oven. Internal meat temperature 43°.

Roast out of oven at 110° internal temperature.

Removed salt crust and allowed to rest 20 minutes. Internal temp 120°.

“The Swan”

Three rare steaks approximately 13 oz. each. 120°.

After a light smoke and sear on the grill, this 135° medium rare steak along with grilled asparagus and a crispy skin baked potato is ready for the table. No seasoning at all.

Special acknowledgement to my visiting daughter who followed me with her camera during this cook. Thanks
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

OMG- words can not describe, but Thesaurus can help. Fantastic, unbelievable, incredible, out of this world, extraordinary, tremendous , prodigious, excellent, terrific, superb, marvelous, fabulous, wonderful, and brilliant might be a good start. Anyone care to add to the list?

What else can I say, Mr. T?
dls, Que'n RN

Thank you.

The internal temp was brought to 110°. I wasn't keeping tract of the time, but it was between 1.5 - 2.00 hours.

This is the way I prepare all of my aged prime ribs.

I have to apologize as my vocabulary cant't do justice to describe the depth of flavor in this piece of beef, it is so easy to forget what beef really can taste like on it's own. To us, it is the ultimate one can do to a piece of meat and I am proud to share it with all.
quote:
Originally posted by Que'n RN:
OMG- words can not describe, but Thesaurus can help. Fantastic, unbelievable, incredible, out of this world, extraordinary, tremendous , prodigious, excellent, terrific, superb, marvelous, fabulous, wonderful, and brilliant might be a good start. Anyone care to add to the list?

Que'n RN - I think you've done a pretty good job with descriptions. I could add to the list you've laid out, but then I'd have to dig into the Ghetto Thesaurus and would probably get banned from the forum.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.