Skip to main content

We had a bunch of recent threads, trying various pountry rubs. I tried some of them, but had to make some modifications (who doesn't) just didn't have enough "OMMPHF" for me.

Similiar, but different to the chikky rub so thanks to Paul for a start, but I now have one I like. I started there but made modification specifically added more Chili Powder, I added cumin.

I don't like to use powders in rubs, I use granulated garlic and granulated onion. Big change for me is I added White Pepper to it for a little different heat also.

try this version give me feedback if you use it for Turkey. I've received rave reviews for the Turkey over the years, want to come up with a good rub now.

We made it last night in my Turkey 101 class and everyone loved the turkey I made with it.

It's a great start. I "might" change the brown sugar up a little and I might tweak a little more. Just need to use it a few more times.

Oh, truth be told I used 1/4 C of Brownulated Sugar, not Brown sugar. But it's the same as Brown Sugar, just dried first.

Smokin’ Okie Turkey (Poultry) Rub

• ¼ C Dark Brown Sugar
• 2 TB Seasoned Salt
• 2 TB Paprika
• 1 TB Dry Sage
• 1 TB Onion Powder(hmm??)
• 2 tsp Ground cumin
• 1.5 tsp Granulated Garlic
• 1.5 tsp Chili Power
• 1.5 tsp Lemon Pepper
• ½ tsp Basil
• ½ tsp Rosemary
• ½ tsp White Pepper
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by MountainMan:
quote:
Wish I convince Mrs MaxQue to trade in the traditional roasted turkey for a smoked bird.

MaxQue that's exactly why I want to try a spatchcocked bird at 375 in the FEC-100. I can get the Mrs. to eat chicken that way but not smoked at lower temps.

The spatchcooked turkey sounds like a winner. Gonna have to try that.
Max,

You're banned for 30 min for Threadjacking?

Not sure what you having to convinced the Mrs. about the turkey has to do with Rub?

I'm confused, but that's easy.

Mountain man, pags, you too. Threadjacking MY threads? You know I'm gonna do that.

Let's talk RUB, not Turkey (oh wait, we have a TURKEY forum for that don't we)

You guys are killing me.

ANd Max, make it 30, you also talked Prime Rib, and 30 min more for Spatchcooked (it's Spatchcocked).

Can we get back to the rub now?????????????????????????????????
quote:
Originally posted by Pags:
Threadjacking 101--Don't threadjack.

Threadjacking 201--Don't threadjack the moderator.

You're close. I think it would be better in a THINGS NOT TO DO 101. We could make something of that.

#1. Don't threadjack the moderator.

Oh wait, I'm threadjacking my own thread, let's get back to rubs... Big Grin
quote:
spatchcocked

Well it's not butterflying because you're just not opening the bird into two.

You actually remove part (the backbone)

Wiki definition of Spatchcock:
quote:
The method of preparing the bird involves removing the backbone and sternum of the bird and flattening it out before cooking
quote:
Originally posted by XLR8R:
Am I a little slow, or should I know what the "t" designation is? Smokin' already used "TB" and "tsp"...but I don't know what "t" is, but then again, I might be a window licker.

Big "T" usually means Tablespoon. Little "t" usually means teaspoon. I'm pretty sure "t" means teaspoon in the subject recipe.

What's a window licker?
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
There you happy now Eeker

Yes in any recipe Big T vs little T is always TABLESPOON vs teaspoon.

Updated so it wouldn't confuse anymore.

Anyone tried it yet, with all this threadjacking not sure if anyone even made it yet.

big T little t is not a universal understanding but is widely misunderstood. standard abbreviations are tsp and tbsp, which are not confused when used in all caps.
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
There you happy now Eeker

Yes in any recipe Big T vs little T is always TABLESPOON vs teaspoon.

Updated so it wouldn't confuse anymore.

Anyone tried it yet, with all this threadjacking not sure if anyone even made it yet.

Haven't tried it yet but giving serious considereation to using it for my turkey next week. We recently started to use Splenda brown sugar so that will be one recipe change for me, also wondering what would happen if one used fresh chopped garlic vice the powder or granulated garlic. I will have to see what I have on hand and go from there.

I don't want to change too much with my first try of the recipe as I have yet to find any of Smokin's recipies/directions that didn't produce some mighty fine eating.
This rub is fine, it's very low salt (just the seasoned salt).

I don't find the brine overly salty, I use a lot of salty rubs with the brine and they do fine with it.

But your taste buds are your taste buds, you have to decide.

Realize too, where will the rub be and how much? If you only put it on the skin, and not under and no one eats the skin...???

That's why I wouldn't try anything too new on Thanksgiving. It's a big day, not a day to experiment.
Ok Feedback from a lurker...

Excellent! Been making ribs and brisket for a few of years, but this was my first attempt at turkey... Followed SmokinOkie's foot steps, but had the butcher Spatchcock the turkey for me. Used the holiday brine for 48 hours, exact Smokin recipe, except I added a can of beer. Used Smokin's rub, also placed cubes of butter under the skin, and used 1.5 oz of sugar maple, and 1.5 oz of pecan wood at 275 degrees, with the butter soaked cheese cloth covering everything... Took 3 hrs starting with a cold smoker to get the breast to 158, and the thighs to 174. Took it all out and foiled for 30 minutes.... Wish I could take credit for this meal, but hats off to SmokinOkie for the perfect recipe..... And yes the wife made a traditional turkey as a back up ;-)... The best smoked turkey I have ever had....
Last edited by liddown

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.