Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Jersey, these are just my opinions, many folks may offer more differences that may address the taste issue more.

I started off 20 years ago with a Brinkman Charcoal bullet smoker. It did a good job, but temperature control was very tricky. Had to monitor water pan and fire level pretty much all day during a long smoke. Outside temperatures and wind also played a major factor into smoking. Advantages: low cost. Let me add my smoker didn't last but a few years, rust got the best of it.

2nd Smoker - Brinkman propane smoker. Did a good job, temperature control was a little easier to predict. I didn't truly notice any off tastes due to propane, but others swear it's there. Again, had a water pan, so long smokes were monitored for water level. Also, outside temperatures and wind need to be considered.

3rd Smoker - Cookshack Smokette which I bought earlier this year. I am still amazed by the quality of the product this thing produces. I live in Chattanooga, TN, so we're covered up with many BBQ joints. Both myself and my family (real critics) agree, the pork, brisket and ribs I can turn out are far superior to what you'll find in the BBQ joints.

It's as close to "set and forget" as you can achieve. Temperature control is right on the money - put it at 225 degrees and it basically stays there. Since it's pretty much a sealed unit, outside temperatures and wind have virtually no effect on your smoking times. No water pan also, the smoke is so moist, there's no need. Also, NO off tastes due to starter fluids, propane, etc. is present. Just the nice wood and the smoke! Let me add it is built like a tank - stainless all around, and very heavy. Made in America also - gotta give the folks at Cookshack a pat on the back for their craftsmanship.

I'm having so much fun with it, I'm seriously looking at the Fast Eddy pellet smoker to take my fun to the next level.

Here's a movie I made showing my first boston butt:

http://homepage.mac.com/copyconn/iMovieTheater16.html

There's also some pictures of some ribs on this page at the top.

Hope this helps. If you're seriously looking at a new smoker, I'd give the Cookshack smokers consideration. They may cost a little more than some others, but like they say, you get what you pay for.

Just my 2 cents,
C'Nooga
jersey,
c'nooga covered it all but left out one tiny thing.
you get to sleep!!!!!!
and it's the same for an sm150 as it is for an fec100. plus if you have both you only need pellets lol Big Grin
jack
ps. if i didn't do competitions (and this is after one year of using both) i think i would have two sm150's. it's amazing what they can do.
I have been queing for a short time compared to others here (about 10 years). I started with an electric bullet smoker and did ok bbq, but was still better than what I had at the restaurants.

Later on, I also bought a Weber Smoky Mountain smoker which is one of the best charcoal and wood smokers you can ever buy. It took some time of preparation and clean up after the Weber. My WSM still looks immaculate after years of use and that is due to the diligence of my clean up. My barbecue off my WSM is unparalleled in my opinion.

But I became weary of the prep time and clean up after using the WSM. So I moved forward with the Cookshack. Prep has become easier, cleanup is a breeze. And I can sleep with my handy dandy Weber remote thermometer. And as I continue to smoke with the Cookshack the quality of the smoked products is becoming comparable to what I deliver on the WSM (with exception of poultry which I like to smoke or cook at 325-350F and you can't get that high of a temp on the Cookshack residential models...the other models and FEC pellet jobs can get that high)

Every smoker has its learning curve and techniques. In short order you will master each one. The Cookshack in my opinion is a quicker learning experience and you will master it quicker too.

I do the following:

1. Keep a log of every cook: Meat, size, spices, rubs, length of smoke, temperature, etc.

2. I add a piece of charcoal in the woodbox on the Cookshack just to add a touch of flavor and color to the meat for appearance. I just like it -thats all.

3. I usually break up the meat into seperate pieces (like a full slab into a 1/4 or 1/2 slab) of what I am smoking and experiment with different rubs and spices (see next section)

4. I experiment with various different rubs and sauces as I hone my experiences. When I find a favorite I will let you know.

5. I often let my wife be the judge and taster as she has a very discriminating palate. She does prefer very well done so I take that into consideration, but I respect her opinion greatly.
Find your own taster and get opinions from others and learn to accept any feedback with the greatest of humility and open mindedness.

The SM150's are great smokers that are for sure as what Jack says above...I beleive they are Cookshack's most popular selling commercial smokers.

Sleeping is great...

regards,
Preston
Great answers guys!

Jersey, what do you think? Need some more details?

Basic and simplest difference is heat source, one has an electric element for heat and wood for flavor, the other uses logs/charcoal for heat and flavor.

You use the same rubs, the same sauces, but techniques will vary depending on which you use. Like Jack said, you can sleep with an electric, most times you can't.

Ask some more questions and we'll try to help.

Smokin'

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.