Skip to main content

Does anyone out there care to share the art of making these beans happen? i have eaten bbq baked beans many a time in my youth that where good enough to make a meal stand on its own , does anyone know what im talking about? I want to learn how to make that kind of beans!!! I have been thru a few trys lately and none of them seem to even come close , any help would be awsome because i am at a loss thank ,chris
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I mostly cook pinto beans. I found out that by keeping it simple, I have great tasting beans. One pound of beans. Saute a large sliced onion in oil. Then, add chopped clove of garlic. Add water and beans, salt and pepper, some cayenne pepper, about a pound of pulled pork or a pound of bacon chopped and cooked medium. Let simmer covered for a few hours without burning. I use large cast iron pots. Add liquid as needed. You can also use beef or chicken stock for the liquid. After beans are done I add a handful of brown sugar, a half cup of honey, a little sorghum and a can of Rotels. Adjust salt and pepper. Make sure you bring the temp of the beans down before adding your sweet stuff. If it is over 160°, the sweeteners will loose their taste.
I'm pretty lazy I guess. Hope I don't get slammed for using the word "canned". Big Grin Anyway here is what I do. I buy the big can of BBQ Beans at Smart and Final. The cheap ones. I dump out all the juice that comes in the can. Add brown sugar, some mustard, a pinch of season salt and a bunch of chopped up white onions - raw not cooked. Then I put em in the smoker and let them go with the butt or brisket or whatever I'm smoking. If I have left over chopped brisket or butt I cut into small bits and add them also. If not I trim some of whatever I'm smoking when I'm done. Give them at least 4 hours in the smoker. When they come out they have thickened, carmelized some of the sugar into a wonderful "goo" around the sides and everyone seems to rave over them. Soooo simple to do. This is presuming you are looking for a sweet beans. Either way, you can't go wrong putting them in the smoker for a few hours. Low and slow seems to do wonders for them.

Jack
Here is a good one that is sweeter than my first one. I have served this a few times and the people think they are scratch made. If I can't find peach filling, I use cut up canned peaches.

Jack’s Peach BBQ Beans

8 strips bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 (#10 can, about 6 pounds and 10 ounces) baked beans (recommended: Bush's)
3 cups canned peach pie filling
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
2 tablespoons Jack's Old South BBQ Rub

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook, stirring, until somewhat crispy and its fat has rendered. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain, leaving the fat in the skillet.

Add the pepper and onion to the skillet and cook, stirring, until softened, about 6 minutes.

Transfer the mixture to a large baking pan.

Add the bacon, beans, pie filling, barbecue sauce, and rub to the pan. Mix to combine and bake, uncovered, until hot and bubbly, about 1 hour.
OK here is my recipe for the Baked Beans we use in our restaurant on a daily basis...
This is derived from Paul Schatte's recipe at Head Country, in Ponca City, OK.

2 #10 Cans Allen's Baked Beans
3 Cups Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Dry Rub - Yes, the stuff you rub on your Brisket before you smoke it... Trust me!
1 Cup Fully Cooked Chopped Brisket
2 Cups BBQ Sauce
2 Teaspoons Dry Mustard, you can even use a little liquid mustard if you want. This just takes the edge off and makes everything blend a bit better.

This recipe will yield a 6" 1/2 pan of beans.
I fired up my new to me FEC100 for the first time last Sunday & decided to make some baked beans since I had plenty of time on my hands. No more burning hickory and shoveling coals.

I used 8X8 pans with 2 cans of baked beans in each. A squirt of mustard, BBQ sauce, ketchup & molasses along with a dose of rub and a splash of Worcestershire. Topped with a handful of diced bell pepper & onion and about a 1/2 lb. of chopped BBQ. Stirred up and set under a butt in the smoker for a couple of hours. Came out pretty well.
Some great responses so far.

quote:
Originally posted by smokin yankee:
...I want to learn how to make that kind of beans!!! I have been thru a few trys lately and none of them seem to even come close , any help would be awsome because i am at a loss thank ,chris

If there is one, there are a MILLION ways to make baked beans. The challenge is for you to give us an idea of:

1) what you're trying to achieve (describe the originals, where they thick, sweet, smokey, etc)

2) what you've done (so we can suggest mods)

there are just so many options....

For me, the keys to my beans are lots of brown sugar, smoking them (I use a cast iron skillet for ours) and putting meat in them (the point from the brisket and some fat are necessary, remember a lot of recipes use bacon for not just the meat, but the fat also
All this talk about beans...

Man I LOVE great beans. Now I'm gonna have to make some. Me, I love the kind that they are thick, but not too thick, and with bacon on top that tastes like candy. To me, a great bean is one you can make a meal on.

Saw an episode of Diners with Guy and the Q restaurant in Chicago. Their final step was to put a layer of Brown sugar on top and never stir it, they looked great.

Another bean story. On vacation In Australia over the Holidays, on a 4 day boat trip on the Great Barrier Reef, (I know, it was tough) but they server Beans every morning with breakfast (it's a british thing)...BUT they were cold, straight out of the can, with no seasoning added.... yuck!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.