Skip to main content

In the past years contests I have hauled around an FEC100, Lang 60, and WSM. This year due to the less than exciting points and the fact this 67 year old really is not looking forward to staying up all night feeding fires, I am really thinking about just cooking all four meats in one FEC100.
I've got my brisket down to very good using 224 degrees and 12 hours. I have always done my ribs and Boston butts at 224 for 14 hours so the only change up would be chicken thighs which I do at 275 but I've done muffin pan chicken at 225 given enough time.
Several years ago I loaned Scottie Johnson my FEC100 for a fly-in contest and he did good for a 6500 foot ski resort.
So what do you think? Not being a zombie Saturday morning sounds good to me.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It's all about timing, after the big meats are done, you can cook ribs and chicken at the same temps(250-275*). The key, as you stated, is making sure the chicken skin is rendered.

We added a PG500 along with the FEC100, but I have no doubt that it can be done without the grill. To bed at 9pm and up at 5am. Cool
I've cooked a number of comps in TX with forum member Coach. While he now travels with 2 FEC100's, most of our events were done with 1 FEC. Here is the game plan:

Friday 9 pm - 2 packer briskets (15 lb) + 2 pork butts at 246 o

Saturday 6 am - 4 racks St Louis Spares - 246 o

Saturday 9 - 10 am - briskets & butts done or close...foil and Cambro. As soon as the butts and briskets are off, FEC temp is kicked up to 275... chicken (halves) are placed on the lower shelf...ribs are relocated to the upper 2 shelf positions. Rack #3 is fully foiled and placed over the lower chicken rack. The goal is to trap as much heat as possible for the chicken.

Saturday 11 am - the chicken is transferred to a charcoal pit for final searing and then glazing.

It's a tight schedule but doable. I would suggest you do 1 if not 2 practice runs before cooking a contest. Most of our contests were IBCA events which do not require butts but we've cooked KCBS as stated above.
Yes, you can. We cooked for a couple of years on a single FEC100, and still cook brisket, pork, and chicken on there together. While chicken will cook at 225, I would suggest running a little hotter. Bumping it up a little won't hurt the big meats - try 240.

On my timeline, they overlap. Chicken goes in when it needs to go in, I don't worry about having the big meats done beforehand. The lowest shelf is the hottest, that's where the chicken goes.

Can you win doing this? Sure, we have gotten GCs with this setup.
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Jacobs:
Thanks folks. Looks like with my son getting a new Yoder, we will be doing the chicken on that at 275 and the other meats in the FEC.

Keep an open mind!

I tried doing it that way and found that I liked the chicken better on the FEC, so I do the ribs on the grill.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.