Skip to main content

I am tagging onto Donna's post, that Smokin's fine Brisket 101 is now available, again.

http://www.cookshack.com/smokins-brisket-101

Just a couple thoughts .

Donna's family developed the traditional Cookshack, as a brisket cooker, about a half century ago-before Donna was born. Wink

Briskets were the most worthless piece of meat,and usually ground for burgers.

On a stick burner,they could be a 24 hr process of tending the fire every hour.

Lots of wood chopping,expense,fire management,and often frustation.

In KCBS,and other comps,you have to cook the brisket to be in the running for Grand Champion.

It was such a pain that many folks just passed. Eeker

It is still as good a brisket cooker as can be found,and many of us would love to have the option to use them for competitions.

Over the years, our own Smokin'Okie has worked tirelessly to develop his 101 s.

They are arguably at the top of presentations that can be found anywhere,and the strong base for our updates on the forum.

Because of the "unusualness" of packer briskets,I've always felt this to be one of the most helpful works he has done.

The fact that the Cookshack remains one of the finest brisket cookers available,and we have such strong written support to use it,we are often passing up the opportunity to cook/accomplish a product that others only dream about ,travel great distances for,and spare no expense.

Here is a great time to broaden our cooking reputation and experience some fine dinin'.

Hard to beat some sliced and chopped brisket,some sliced jalapenos and chopped onions,pinto beans,scoop of 'tater salad, some Texas Toast,an ice cold Shiner Bock,and some Asleep at the Wheel, on the jukebox.

Mmmmm!

Just my $0.02
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Try Master Purveyors,there in Tampa.

Ribdog can give you a better name and connection.

They supply the restaurant trade and some of our comp meats.

There are two Sam's distribution centers,up around Winter Garden??

They determine which products go to the Sam's stores.

Often ,you get Choice packers,although they may be Excel,from superwally.

They are not injected,if they are stamped CHOICE.

They also may carry IBP Choice,which is a lower grade of choice-but far better than Excel,but still used by many comp teams.

I used to often get cases of choice Excel,around $0.99/lb,when they get close to market date.

They are fine,and freeze well.

You have to check around.
I dealt with Shawn McCranie at Master Purveyors in Tampa. The number is 813-253-0865, ext 107 for Shawn. Just tell him RibDog referred you to him.

They almost always have IBP packers. Sometimes they will get Vande Rose packers in also. VR is premium natural Hereford beef. Real nice beef but the packers are not that large. Largest we ever saw was a 14 lber. Most often, they were in the 10- 12 lb. range.

One note, since they are primarily a meat distributor, they tend to deal in case lots. Don't know whether he would break a case or not for you. And they are located off of 56th St. in West Tampa just above Hillsborough.
Tom, I just read your message up top, and Bobby Que is right, you are a poet; awesome post. I got misty-eyed when you mentioned ice cold Shiner... do you know how hard it is to get Shiner for us Hoosiers? They don't sell it in Indiana, so I've had to get it from Ohio, Florida, Georgia, wherever I can find it.

Anyway, it is truly a great beer to complement the brisket delicacy. I went and picked up a 7lb'er flat from Kroger (head meat man said they weren't 'allowed' to sell any untrimmed meat there, but he said he'd give me $.50 off per lb of the flat, took it down to $2.00/lb). Smoking it in my 008 this weekend. I've smoked a number of briskets now and they always come out very tender and flavorful- the family always looks forward to it.

Thanks for the passage, Tom, it makes me look forward to this weekend's smoke even more.
Yep,Shiner does just seem to fit the picture.

We'll be in New Orleans all this week and the Sam's there sells case Shiner's.

We pay around $1.65/lb, case price for packers at Sam's.

Right now the distributor for these Sam's is sending Excel choice.

They could be $1.69 for singles, of select, Excel packers at a Wallyworld.

For a cater,$2/lb isn't bad for flats, for the lower price of served meat and labor cost.

Sometimes, our Sam's would accidentally get flats,so they would sell me the case for packer price.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.